Thursday, May 16, 2013
Blackhawks' third periods like no other
By ESPN Stats & Information
The Blackhawks broke open a 1-1 tie against the Red Wings by scoring 3 goals in the 3rd period for a 4-1 win over their rivals. The Blackhawks have outscored their opponents 9-2 in the 3rd period this postseason while the Red Wings have been outscored 15-5 in the 3rd period in their 8 postseason games.
Western Conference Semifinals
Blackhawks 4, Red Wings 1 (Blackhawks lead series 1-0)
* Patrick Sharp (CHI): Goal (6-EN), 2 assists
* Marian Hossa (CHI): Power-play goal in 1st period (4)
* Johnny Oduya (CHI): Go-ahead goal with 11:58 left in 3rd period (2)
* Blackhawks: 10-0-2 in last 12 home games (regular season & playoffs)
* Blackhawks: 20-20 in penalty killing through first 6 games of postseason (killed off all 3 Red Wings power plays in Game 1)
* Jimmy Howard (DET): 38 saves
* Red Wings: have lost all 5 meetings vs Blackhawks this season (regular season & playoffs)
FROM ELIAS: Patrick Sharp assisted on two goals for the Blackhawks and scored the empty-net goal that wrapped up a 4-1 Chicago victory in Game 1 of their second-round series against the Red Wings. Sharp did not record a point in the opener of the Blackhawks’ first-round series against Minnesota but he’s posted nine points in six games since then (six goals, three assists), with at least one point in each game. The five-game point streak is the longest of Sharp’s NHL playoff career, and nine points matches his career high for any five-game span in postseason play. He tallied nine points over a five-game stretch during Chicago’s run to the Stanley Cup in 2010, with three goals and six assists, from the final game of a first-round series versus Nashville through the first four games of a second-round series against Vancouver.
Red Wins vs Blackhawks Postseason Series in Conf Semis or Later, Expansion Era (Since 1967-68)
2013 Conf Semis >>?
2009 Conf Finals Red Wings, 4-1
1995 Conf Finals Red Wings, 4-1
1992 Div Finals Blackhawks, 4-0
1970 Quarterfinals Blackhawks, 4-0
>>Blackhawks lead 1-0