Thursday, May 30, 2013
Seabrook joins D-lighted company
By ESPN Stats & Information
Blackhawks 2, Red Wings 1 (OT) (Blackhawks win series 4-3)
Brent Seabrook will be toasted in Chicago after scoring the overtime goal that gave the Blackhawks a Game 7 win. It was Seabrook’s first goal of the postseason. He becomes just the fourth defenseman in league history to score an OT goal in a Game 7. The goal and win capped a 3-1 series comeback for the Blackhawks, the first time the franchise had pulled that off. They were 0-11 in such series before this game.
The Blackhawks’ win sets up a rare situation in the Stanley Cup Playoffs: the final four won each of the previous four Stanley Cups: the Kings last year, Bruins in 2011, Blackhawks in 2010, and Penguins in 2009. FROM ELIAS: There has been only one "final four" in NHL or NBA playoff history in which each team won its league championship in one of the previous four seasons: the 1945 NHL postseason when the Bruins, Red Wings, Canadiens and Maple Leafs were left.
* Brent Seabrook (CHI): 1st goal of postseason ... 1st career postseason OT goal (he's had 6 OT goals in regular season career)
* Seabrook (CHI): 4th defenseman in league history to score OT goal in Game 7 and first since Darius Kasparaitis of 2001 Penguins
* 37th Game 7 in NHL history to go to OT (2nd this postseason ... Boston's Patrice Bergeron scored OT winner in Game 7 of Eastern Conference Quarterfinals vs Maple Leafs)
* Blackhawks: overcome 3-1 series deficit for first time (were 0-11 before this game)
* Blackhawks: 6-5 all-time in Game 7 (first win since 1995 Conf. QF vs Maple Leafs)
* Blackhawks: 1st OT win in a Game 7
* Blackhawks: play Kings in Western Conference Final (CHI won 2 of 3 regular-season meetings)
* Red Wings: both series this postseason went 7 (won at ANA, lost at CHI)
* FROM ELIAS: The final four NHL teams won each of the previous four Stanley Cups: the Kings last year, Bruins in 2011, Blackhawks in 2010, and Penguins in 2009. There has been only one "final four" in NHL/NBA playoff history in which each team won its league championship in one of the previous four seasons: the 1945 NHL postseason (Bruins, Red Wings, Canadiens and Maple Leafs).
Defensemen to Score OT Goal in Game 7
2013 Brent Seabrook CHI vs. DET
2001 Darius Kasparaitis PIT vs. BUF
1983 Brad Park BOS vs. BUF
1950 Leo Reise DET vs. TOR
FROM ELIAS: It took overtime to decide a winner in Game 7 of the Chicago–Detroit series, which was as close as a series could be heading into extra time, with the teams deadlocked not only in wins but in total goals scored for the series (15–15).
Until last year, the only playoff series in NHL history in which Game 7 went to overtime with the teams having scored the same number of goals in the series was the first-round matchup between the Sabres and Senators in 1997 (won by Buffalo).
But this was the third such series in the last two playoff years, following the Washington–Boston and New Jersey–Florida first-round pairings in 2012 (won by the Caps and the Devils).
NEXT LEVEL: The Blackhawks scored 6 of their 15 conference semifinal goals (40%) against the Red Wings on high shots to Jimmy Howard’s glove side, including the overtime game winner in Game 7. The Blackhawks’ greatest percentage of goals (28%) were to the high glove side this season, an area in which Detroit’s Jimmy Howard limited goals in the 1st round.
Jimmy Howard Goals Allowed High Glove
Total Pct Allowed
vs CHI 6 40%<<
vs ANA 2 10%
>>Worst zone vs Blackhawks