Friday, November 8, 2013
Brodeur eats the Flyers for breakfast
By ESPN Stats & Information
Devils 3, Flyers 0
FROM ELIAS: Martin Brodeur notched his first shutout of the season with a 3–0 victory at Philadelphia. It was Brodeur’s 12th regular-season shutout against the Flyers, his highest total versus one team and the highest total against one team by any goaltender who debuted in the NHL's expansion era (i.e., since 1967–68). The only other double-digit shutout totals against a particular team by expansion-era goaltenders are by Brodeur versus the Islanders (10) and Ed Belfour against Anaheim (10).
Lightning 4, Oilers 2
FROM ELIAS: Steven Stamkos extended his goal-scoring streak to five games when he tallied the first of his two goals in the Lightning’s 4–2 win over the Oilers. He’s the third NHL player to score goals in each of five or more consecutive team games this season, joining Alexander Steen (a six-game streak) and Patrick Marleau (five). This is Stamkos’ sixth official goal-scoring streak of five games or more over the last five seasons, twice as many as any other NHL player has recorded over that span (Patrick Kane and Alex Ovechkin have had three such streaks since 2009–10).
Blues 3, Flames 2
* Alexander Steen (STL): Goal (14), leads NHL
* Blues: 5-1-0 in last 6 games (won last 2)
FROM ELIAS: Alexander Steen’s goal was the game-winner in the Blues’ 3–2 win against the Flames. Steen has scored goals in 12 of the Blues’ 14 games this season and he’s recorded at least one goal in each of their 10 victories. Steen is the first NHL player to score goals in each of his team’s first 10 wins in one season since 1993–94, when Eric Lindros set a modern-era NHL record by scoring goals in each of the Flyers’ first 12 wins.
Capitals 3, Wild 2 (F/SO)
* Alex Ovechkin (WSH): 13th goal of season; 4 goals, assist in past 3 home games
* Wild: scored 2 or fewer goals in 6 of 7 road games (2-3-2)
Bruins 4, Panthers 1
* Bruins: 7-1-0 in last 8 games vs Panthers
* David Krejci (BOS): 1 goal; at least 1 point in 6 straight home games (2 G, 6 A)
* Panthers: 0-3-4 in last 7 games; 1 for 20 on power play in that span
Rangers 4, Blue Jackets 2
* Rangers: have allowed 2 or fewer goals in 9 straight games (6-3-0)
* Carl Hagelin (NYR): 2 goals; 5th career multi-goal game; Rangers are 5-0 in those games
* Ryan McDonagh (NYR): 1 Goal, 1 assist; 4th goal this season matches total from last season