Friday, December 20, 2013
Giroux leads comeback with milestone goal
By Rico Longoria
Kings 4, Sharks 1
* Martin Jones made 31 saves to improve to 7-0 in his NHL career. Jones has allowed a total of six goals in those seven games.
* The Kings have won four straight home games vresus the Sharks.
* The Sharks are 2-6-0 in their last eight road games.
Avalanche 4, Oilers 2
* The Avalanche snapped a four-game losing streak versus the Oilers.
* Colorado's Maxime Talbot scored his third goal in his last eight games. He had just one in his first 26.
* The Oilers now have their fourth five-game losing streak of the season, but they have yet to lost six straight.
Stars 4, Canucks 1
* The Canucks suffered their first regulation loss in their last nine games.
* Erik Cole of Dallas had a season-high three points (goal, two assists).
* Kari Lehtonen of Dallas stopped 27 of 28 shots after allowing multiple goals in each of his previous seven starts.
Blues 5, Canadiens 1
* The Blues now have a five-game winning streak versus the Canadiens.
* Alexander Steen of St. Louis had two two goals, and now has four goals and two assists in his last five games played. Steen's 24 goals this season are second only to Alex Ovechkin (28).
* The Canadiens have lost four of their last six, after winning nine of the previous 10.
Flyers 5, Blue Jackets 4
* Claude Giroux of the Flyers scored his 99th and 100th career goals, and his fourth game-winner of the season (career-high is five).
* It was Giroux's first four-point game since Feb. 2012.
* The Flyers scored five goals in the third period for the first time since March 2010.
* From Elias: The Flyers trailed Columbus, 3–0, through two periods but they outscored the Blue Jackets, 5–1, in the third period and recorded a 5–4 win over their Metropolitan Division rival. Excluding a shootout victory over Carolina in December 2008, it was only the third time in franchise history that the Flyers won a game in which they trailed by three goals or more entering the third period.
Penguins 5, Wild 2
* The Penguins have won nine straight home games, and their 16 home wins are most in NHL this season.
* Sidney Crosby had two assists, and has at least one point in 18 of 19 home games this season
* The Wild are 1-5-1 in the last seven road games, and have scored two or fewer goals in all seven games.
Sabres 4, Bruins 2
* The Sabres have won consecutive games for the second time this season, and this marks their first time winning back-to-back regulation games.
* Buffalo's Marcus Foligno had a Gordie How hat trick, recording a goal, assist and fight.
* The Bruins have lost two of their last three after winning six of the previous seven.