Friday, January 17, 2014
Howard and King Henrik put on a clinic
By Rico Longoria
Rangers 1, Red Wings 0
* Rangers: 5-1-1 in last seven games; first 1-0 shutout vs Red Wings since February 4, 1971 (played 107 games against the Red Wings between 1-0 wins against them).
* Red Wings: 2-4-1 in last seven games; lost each of last two games 1-0.
* Henrik Lundqvist (NYR): 38 saves; third shutout this season, first since Oct. 31 against Sabres. It's the 48th shutout of his career; he needs two more to become the 27th goalie in NHL history with 50 career shutouts.
* Mats Zuccarello (NYR): goal; has a point in four of his last five games.
FROM ELIAS: The Rangers and Red Wings combined for 86 shots on goal but only one goal in their game at Madison Square Garden. Over the last 50 years, the only other NHL game with at least 86 shots on goal in which no more than one goal was scored was the Rangers’ shootout loss to the Devils at MSG on Jan. 12, 2010. The teams combined for 96 shots in that game (51 by the Rangers, 45 by New Jersey) but no one could score against Martin Brodeur or Henrik Lundqvist, so the game went to a shootout in which the only goal, by Patrik Elias on the eighth and final attempt, earned the Devils a 1–0 victory. Lundqvist, the shootout loser in that game, was the winning goaltender for the Blueshirts on Thursday night.
Bruins 4, Stars 2
* Milan Lucic (BOS): Goal (13), snaps nine-game streak without a goal.
* Lucic: scored on power play (Bruins' first power-play goal in seven games).
FROM ELIAS: Milan Lucic's power play goal in the third period turned out to be the game-winning goal in the Bruins’ 4–2 victory at Dallas. Lucic has scored 13 goals in the 46 games he's played this season and seven of those goals have come in third periods (also scored one overtime goal.) Lucic played 46 games for Boston last season and scored only one third-period goal (none in OT).
Kings 4, Blues 1
* Kings: Win snaps five-game road losing streak; outscored Blues 3-0 in third period.
* Blues: loss snaps five-game home win streak.
* Trevor Lewis (LA): two points one pt in first 38 games this season); second career shorthanded goal.
Canadiens 5, Senators 4 (F/OT)
* P.K. Subban (MTL): Goal (8); third career OT goal and first since April 5, 2011 versus Blackhawks.
* Erik Karlsson (OTT): third three-point game this season (G, 2 A); leads all defenseman with 46 points this season (11 G, 35 A).