Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Game 7s: Playoff points to watch
By ESPN Stats & Information
- Boston and Montreal are meeting for the eighth time in a Game 7. That is the most among the three major leagues that have a seven-game playoff format (MLB, NBA, NHL).
- Montreal is 13-8 in Game 7s all time. The Habs have won their last four Game 7 appearances, which include two wins over the Bruins. Their last Game 7 loss came on April 29, 1994, to the Bruins at Boston Garden.
- Carey Price's only previous Game 7 was a 5-0 shutout victory against the Bruins in Montreal in 2008. Price is one of three goaltenders in Canadiens history with a Game 7 shutout. The others are Gump Worsley (1965 vs. Chicago) and Jose Theodore (2004 vs. Boston).
- Boston is 9-10 in Game 7s. The Bruins have lost four straight games, including last season's loss to the Flyers after they led the series and Game 7, 3-0, before Philadelphia rallied to win.
- Dwayne Roloson is 5-0 in his career when facing elimination. The only other goalie with a better record in elimination games, according to Elias, is Billy Smith, who was 7-0.
- The Penguins are forced to a Game 7 in a series that they once led 3-1 for the first time since 1975, when they led 3-0 and lost the series to the Islanders.
- This is the first time the Lightning have forced a Game 7 in a series that they were down 3-1. They lost the previous two instances in five games.