Irish Lunch Links
January, 7, 2013
By Matt Fortuna | ESPN.com
- Scouts Inc. breaks down tonight's game . Notre Dame football has seen a recruiting surge with this success, colleague Mitch Sherman writes. Ryan McGee looks at how the layoff could affect both teams .
- The focus hasn't shifted for Alabama DC Kirby Smart, colleague Chris Low writes. Low looks at keys for Bama, and he and Edward Aschoff both predict the contest. Chance Warmack takes charge. Mark Schlabach looks at the special bond between AJ McCarron and Starla Chapman. Schlabach looks at the tale of the tape between these two schools.
- Sean Astin talks about Notre Dame's rise in Playbook.
- I was lucky enough to be the inaugural Curley Center class to cover a national championship; the gang here now is doing some pretty good work under former Notre Dame beat writer Malcolm Moran.
- The Chicago Tribune's David Haugh says Mirko Jurkovic is staying positive in his cancer fight. This could be the Irish's most meaningful title yet. Barrett Jones and Manti Te'o are a couple of family guys, Brian Hamilton writes. Everett Golson has seen everything and nothing.
- Athlon Sports previews the title game.
- Irish safeties coach Bob Elliott has shown his resiliency once again this season, Pete Thamel writes on SI.com. Another inspiring tale, this one on Irish academic services associate director Adam Sargent.
- Brian Kelly once seemed poised for politics. Kelly has paid his dues and seen a huge return, George Schroeder writes in USA Today.
- The New York Post's Mike Vaccaro says that this iconic matchup has drawn everyone in. Brian Kelly has the dream job, now he needs the win to complete the fairytale.
- Yahoo! Sports' Pat Forde says Kelly and Nick Saban should stay where they are. Golson is hoping to do what McCarron did.
- The LA Times' Bill Plaschke is taking Notre Dame, and that Cierre Wood has swagger and stats.
- SI.com's Stewart Mandel says developing Golson could be key, and to not anoint the Tide as champions just yet. Mike Rosenberg says Saban's legacy is complicated, and that this sport is better with the Irish near the top of it.
- AL.com's Kevin Scarbinsky says Saban's legacy is complex as a man but clear as a coach. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Dave Hyde says Saban is a college legend despite his messy Dolphins legacy.
'College Football Live' Extra: Biggest Plays
FBS INDEP. SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State