Notre Dame week 5: Did you know?
October, 5, 2012
By Matt Fortuna | ESPN.com
Thanks to ESPN Stats & Info for these nuggets.
- Notre Dame is allowing nine points and forcing 3.3 turnovers per game, both of which rank in the top three in FBS. Miami’s offense has scored at least 38 points in four of five games. Against NC State, the Hurricanes scored a season-high 44 points, and Stephen Morris passed for an ACC-record 566 yards. That is eight more points and 149 fewer passing yards than the Irish have allowed for the season.
- Morris has completed 10 passes thrown 20 yards or more downfield in his last two games. Morris had 13 such completions in his first 14 games at Miami. One reason for the improvement has been the emergence of sophomore receiver Phillip Dorsett, who has caught six of Morris’ 10 completions on throws of 20 yards or more.
- Notre Dame’s last two opponents, Michigan and Michigan State, completed a combined 2 of 10 throws of 20 yards or more downfield with no touchdowns and a pick.
- Morris has completed at least 60 percent of his passes when opponents send five or more pass rushers in every game this season. He has six touchdown passes against the blitz. In his first two years at Miami, Morris did not throw any touchdowns in 39 pass attempts against five or more rushers.
- True freshman Duke Johnson ranks fifth in FBS with 184 all-purpose yards per game. He averages a team-high 16.3 yards per play on screen passes. His seven receptions on screens are tied for most on the team this season.
- Miami averages 35.6 PPG this season and Morris has thrown for 1,002 yards in his last two games, with seven touchdown passes. Morris has two of the top five total yardage games in school history, both of those games coming in the last two weeks.
- The Hurricanes have trailed by at least seven points in all four of their wins.
UConn Names Bob Diaco Head Coach