Notre Dame Football: Bishard Baker
- The big news of the week is four-star running back Elijah Hood (Charlotte, N.C./Charlotte Catholic) de-committing from Notre Dame, with his father, Vee, telling the Charlotte Observer that something happened recently on an unofficial visit to South Bend, Ind.
- Colleague Jared Shanker says that running back is the one position Notre Dame can afford to take the hit.
- Our Jeremy Crabtree also thinks that the Irish will manage to be OK after the loss of Hood.
- The loss of Hood moves the Irish down two spots to No. 12 in ESPN's class of 2014 team recruiting rankings. (As a side note, it looks like "Roll Toilet" will have to live on somewhere else.)
- Purdue three-star outside linebacker commit Drue Tranquill (Fort Wayne, Ind./Carroll) could very well end up a Notre Dame commitment after this past weekend, our Tom VanHaaren writes.
- Our Erik McKinney says Notre Dame is among several new teams now in the mix for four-star safety Bishard "Budda" Baker (Bellevue, Wash./Bellevue).
Here's what's happenin' ...
- Notre Dame is No. 10 in the latest ESPN Class of 2014 team recruiting rankings .
- Our Brad Bournival looks at the top 11 uncommitted Class of 2015 prospects from the Midwest , including six Notre Dame has a chance of landing: top overall prospect, defensive end Jashon Cornell (St. Paul, Minn./Cretin-Derham Hall); four-star defensive tackle Hjalte Froholdt (Warren, Ohio/Warren G. Harding), four-star athlete Shaun Crawford (Lakewood, Ohio/Saint Edward), four-star defensive tackle Elijah Taylor (Cincinnati/Moeller), four-star quarterback James Morgan (Green Bay, Wis./Ashwaubenon) and four-star wide receiver David Dowell (Lakewood, Ohio/Saint Edward).
- Our Damon Sayles looks at the 10 remaining uncommitted ESPN300 prospects from the Midlands , including two more that the Irish have a chance of getting: Defensive end Solomon Thomas (Coppell, Texas/Coppell) and cornerback Nick Watkins (Dallas/Bishop Dunne). The Irish have also offered offensive guard Braden Smith (Olathe, Kan./Olathe South). The Irish are one of nine teams with a shot at landing a visit from Watkins , Sayles writes.
- Purdue is trying very hard to hold on to three-star outside linebacker Drue Tranquill (Fort Wayne, Ind./Carroll), who is visiting Notre Dame on Saturday.
- Our Erik McKinney mentions ESPN300 safety Bishard "Budda" Baker (Bellevue, Wash./Bellevue) as a "must-have" Washington recruit, though the Irish are in the mix with several other teams for Baker .
- Our Brad Bournival looks at Notre Dame and seven other schools' pitches for ESPN300 offensive guard Damien Mama (Bellflower, Calif./St. John Bosco).
- Notre Dame is in the top-three for four-star running back Nathan Starks (Greenwood Village, Colo./Cherry Creek), our William Wilkerson writes.
'College Football Live' Extra: Biggest Plays
FBS INDEP. SCOREBOARD
2:00 2nd Qtr Cincinnati 7 Virginia Tech 10 10:35 1st Qtr 15 Arizona State 7 Duke 0 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State