Notre Dame Football: Jeff Samardzija
- Tough news out of Houston concerning Week 1 Irish opponent Rice, as offensive lineman Drew Carroll has been forced to retire because of a kidney disease.
- KeiVarae Russell wants opponents to dread facing him, Rachel Terlep writes in the Elkhart Truth.
- Per LaMond Pope, Jeff Samardzija had some to say about the end of the Michigan rivalry.
Jeff Samardzija on MLB Network on end of #NotreDame-Michigan: "That's about as absurd as Notre Dame putting FieldTurf in instead of grass...— LaMond Pope (@lamondpope) August 6, 2014
but hey that's the way things are going these days and times are changing in college football. ...— LaMond Pope (@lamondpope) August 6, 2014
It's an awesome rivalry and hopefully they find a way to mix it in some more down the road for sure."— LaMond Pope (@lamondpope) August 6, 2014
- The Chicago Sun-Times' Steve Greenberg says Notre Dame is looking to rediscover its mojo.
- CSNChicago's JJ Stankevitz explains some of his rankings of the top 25 Notre Dame players.
- BlueandGold.com's Andrew Owens says Jaylon Smith deserves to be named captain, regardless of age. (Subscription required)
ESPN has teamed up with EA Sports to bring you the #UltimateTeam vote. We’ve selected the top 5 offensive and defensive players for 16 of the elite programs in college football history. Which is the Ultimate Team? Round 1 of the voting begins today.
Notre Dame checks in as the No. 14 seed, looking to pull off the upset against No. 3 Ohio State. It's not looking bright early on, as the Buckeyes currently hold a commanding 75 percent of the votes, but you folks can help change that.
Here are the rosters for each school.
Captain: Tim Brown
QB: Brady Quinn
RB: Jerome Bettis
RB: Ricky Watters
WR: Raghib Ismail
WR: Jeff Samardzija
DE: Justin Tuck
DT: Chris Zorich
DT: Bryant Young
LB: Manti Te'o
S: Tom Zbikowski
Captain: Archie Griffin
QB: Troy Smith
RB: Eddie George
RB: Beanie Wells
WR: Santonio Holmes
WR: Joey Galloway
DE: Mike Vrabel
LB: A.J. Hawk
LB: Chris Spielman
SS: Malcolm Jenkins
CB: Chris Gamble
Go vote for your picks in each of the eight matchups today.
- AthlonSports' Braden Gall has Michael Floyd, Golden Tate and Jeff Samardzija on his list of top 50 receivers of the BCS era.
- Zeke Motta has reached a deal with the Atlanta Falcons, D. Orlando Ledbetter writes.
- It looks like Manti Te'o handled Maxim's jab at him as best as he could.
- Charlie Weis likes the new leaders he has at Kansas, colleague David Ubben writes.
- Former Notre Dame receiver Jeff Samardzija pitched a gem in the Cubs' opener Monday, ESPNChicago.com's Jesse Rogers writes.
- There is a clear lane for George Atkinson III, Pete Sampson writes on IrishIllustrated.com.
- BlueandGold.com's Wes Morgan looks at Theo Riddick's pro day performance.
- SI.com looks at the top-10 Fighting Irish of all time, in all sports.
- Former WR Jeff Samardzija is the Cubs' Opening Day starter.
- IrishIllustrated.com's Tim Prister breaks down the kicking game.
- BlueandGold.com's Lou Somogyi looks ahead to next year's BYU game.
- Texans DE Antonio Smith says that the locker room would laugh at Manti Te'o if Houston drafted him.
- ICYMI Tuesday: Four Alabama freshmen are facing charges from Monday arrests. Colleague Chris Low says this is a different kind of spotlight for the Tide.
- A mature Romeo Okwara is taking the next step, Tim Prister writes on IrishIllustrated.com.
- Braxston Cave's brain might be as important as his braun when it comes to the NFL, Bob Wieneke writes in the South Bend Tribune.
- Former Notre Dame receiver Jeff Samardzija says he is in no hurry to sign a long-term deal with the Cubs, Paul Sullivan writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- New nickname for Stephon Tuitt? New nickname for Stephon Tuitt.
The senior linebacker made the Football Writers Association of America All-America team, and he has now made all five All-America teams that the NCAA recognizes to determine unanimous distinction, including: the American Football Coaches Association, Sporting News, Walter Camp and Associated Press.
Te'o was also named an ESPN.com All-American last week.
Te'o is the 33rd unanimous All-American in Irish history. Receivers Golden Tate (2009) and Jeff Samardzija (2005) were the most recent Notre Dame players to earn unanimous All-America status, and cornerback Shane Walton (2002) was the most recent defensive Irish player to do it.
Te'o was also recently named to a first-team All-American by Phil Steele, along with tight end Tyler Eifert. Stephon Tuitt earned second-team status, while Braxston Cave and Louis Nix earned third and Zack Martin notched fourth.
- Mike Golic and Rick Reilly continue their debate about a certain school's football team. Jeff Samardzija's feelings about the Chicago uniforms resonate with the old guard.
- Former Notre Dame quarterback Terry Hanratty recalls a nice moment from the last Ireland trip in this BlueandGold.com thread.
- George Atkinson III's time is in sight, Tim Prister writes on IrishIllustrated.com.
- The Pre-Snap Read's Paul Myerberg previews Notre Dame, his preseason No. 25 team.
- FoxSports does the same with the Irish, its 30th-ranked team heading into 2012.
- Colleague Heather Dinich predicts the ACC will eventually land Notre Dame or another power.
- The most-hated coach series drew a few Brian Kelly and Charlie Weis votes. Mark Schlabach looks at the 10-most hated of all-time.
- BlueandGold.com's Wes Morgan looks at Irish alums settling into NFL life. (Some good nuggets in there on Ethan Johnson, Gary Gray and David Ruffer.)
- According to Phil Steele, Notre Dame returns 75.37 percent of its yards from last season, good for 57th in the nation.
- How do you know Jeff Samardzija has officially made it in the big leagues? He has his own bobblehead. (Hat tip to B&G's Dan Murphy for the find.)
- BlueandGold.com's Wes Morgan introduces us to Pat Welsh and Josh Reardon, Notre Dame's graduate assistants.
- Tyler Eifert is running away in Phil Steele's poll of the top returning tight ends in college football this season.
- CSNChicago.com's JJ Stankevitz wonders if the Big 12 could be Notre Dame's ticket out of the Big East.
- Jeff Samardzija is paying off for the Cubs, Gordon Wittenmyer writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- A few days late here, but it looks like Brian Kelly got to speak at his alma mater only after a fellow Assumption linebacker, Nick DiAntonio, took the podium as valedictorian, Jennifer Toland writes in the Worcester Telegram & Gazette.
- Don't look now, but Jeff Samardzija is having himself a pretty nice season.
- Colleague Adam Rittenberg has a good take here on OSU and what can set a power program back.
- Mel Kiper grades every team in the NFL draft.
- BlueandGold.com's looks at Week 2 opponent Purdue coming out of spring.
- Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel looks at possible playoff solutions.
- Jeff Samardzija is still adept at reinvention, Doug Padilla writes on ESPNChicago.com.
- Notre Dame commit Hunter Bivin has been selected to the Under Armour All-America Game in January,
our Dave Hooker writes.
- The Irish plan to deploy Tyler Eifert all over the field, Brian Hamilton writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- Chuck Martin is still assessing his quarterbacks, Lou Somogyi writes on BlueandGold.com.
- AthlonSports.com says Brian Kelly is the 10th-best coach heading into 2012.
- Another incentive for Notre Dame to shore up the punt return game: There's a return man award this year.
- Speaking of special teams, BlueandGold.com's Dan Murphy writes that this year's new rule could increase touchbacks.
- Another impact early enrollees list, another Gunner Kiel mention, this time from Rana L. Cash of the Sporting News.
- Manti Te'o is back to finish what he started, Tim Prister writes on IrishIllustrated.com.
- Jeff Samardzija wrapped up a strong case for a Cubs rotation spot, Paul Sullivan writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- Robinson's son, Corey, is the newest member of the Irish's 2013 recruiting class. Our Damon Sayles has the story.
- Charley Molnar's first spring at UMass is underway, Jeff Thomas writes in The Republican.
- Players are battling for touches, not starting jobs this year, Dan Murphy writes on BlueandGold.com.
- Manti Te'o has found his comfort zone, Tim Prister writes on IrishIllustrated.com.
- Did former Irish wideout Jeff Samardzija take a jab at Ryan Braun?
- Dayne Crist begins the spring as Kansas' No. 1 QB.
- Former Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn has joined former coach Romeo Crennel and signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Quinn's favorite target with the Irish, Jeff Samardzija, is building a case for a starting job with the Chicago Cubs, Paul Sullivan writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- WEEI.com's Nicholas O'Malley looks at Michael Floyd, who could be on the board when the New England Patriots make their draft selection.
- Via BlueandGold.com, coachingsearch.com says Brian Kelly has the second-most Twitter followers among FBS head coaches, behind LSU's Les Miles. (Insert "chest and ability" joke here.)
- BlueandGold.com's Dan Murphy previews Irish opponent Miami.
'College Football Live' Extra: Biggest Plays
FBS INDEP. SCOREBOARD
2:31 3rd Qtr Cincinnati 10 Virginia Tech 27 3:32 2nd Qtr 15 Arizona State 20 Duke 10 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State