Pac-10 stock report
September, 15, 2010
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Who's running with a bull market? Who's battling the bears (not the Golden ones)?
- Kenjon Barner & LaMichael James: Barner leads the nation in scoring -- 18 points per game -- and James' 72-yard TD run might be the best play you'll see all year.
- Jermaine Kearse: The Washington receiver ranks third in the nation with 143.5 yards receiving per game, and his four TD receptions are tops in the Pac-10.
- Pac-10 QBs: Five rank among the nation's top-22 in passing efficiency, topped by California's Kevin Riley, who ranks third overall and has thrown seven TD passes with no interceptions.
- Trevor Hankins: He has punted five times in two games for Arizona State and his shortest boot is 49 yards. He averages 53.2 yards per punt, which would be tops in the nation but he hasn't had enough punts.
- Defense: Five Pac-10 teams rank among the top-17 in the nation in total defense, including California, which ranks No. 1 (160 yards per game). The other four are No. 3 Arizona, No. 7 Stanford, No. 11 Oregon and No. 17 Arizona State.
- Oregon's offense: It ranks second in the nation in total offense (583.5 yards per game) and second in scoring (60 ppg).
- California's pass rush: The Bears wanted to put more pressure on opposing QBs. Well, they've recorded eight sacks in two games, which leads the conference.
- UCLA's offense: The Bruins were shut out at home 35-0 vs. Stanford and rank 111th in the nation in total offense (273 yards per game) and 115th in scoring (11 ppg).
- Washington State's defense: The Cougars are yielding 475 yards per game, which ranks 110th in the country.
- Marc Tyler and Allen Bradford: After rushing for 154 yards on 17 carries for USC vs. Hawaii, Tyler had just 67 yards on 18 carries vs. Virginia. And coach Lane Kiffin didn't give him a strong endorsement when he told the LA Daily News that "As of today Tyler is the starter." Bradford began fall camp as USC's starting running back. He had three carries for 10 yards against Virginia.
- Washington on fourth down: The Huskies are 0-3 on fourth down this season.
- Penalties: Arizona State ranks 118th in the nation with 112 penalty yards per game. USC? It ranks 119th with 120 penalty yards per game.
- Shane Vereen: He's battled nagging injuries since fall camp, but Vereen is only averaging 63 yards rushing per game and his 4.2 per carry average is tied for ninth among the conference's top-10 rushers. His long run so far is 12 yards.