Pac-10 Morning: Oregon's Costa out for season
August, 28, 2008
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
And so it begins. Pause for a moment and imagine yourself 14 weeks hence. Are you smiling? Love the optimism!
- It's the worst-case scenario for Oregon QB Nate Costa -- knee injury ends his second-consecutive season. You may not like the Ducks, but it's hard to be unsympathetic to this guy -- a great talent who deserves a break. A look at those scheming coordinators. Three questions for Mike Bellotti -- with video!
- Don't Tase me, man! The 'Zona Zoo stadium policy for Arizona games hopefully will be clearer this season. The Wildcats new special-teams coach isn't new to the Wildcats. The offense is hoping for successful drives, but this guy knows a thing or two about doing those drives fast.
- Arizona State may sit starting TB Keegan Herring against Northern Arizona. Here's how to keep up with the progress of former Sun Devils coach (and all-around great guy) Bruce Snyder, who's battling cancer. Noting the Sun Devils. Hey, Coach, you guys need a long-snapper? Er, yeah.
- A California preview. Concerns from Wednesday's practice: Are CB Syd'Quan Thompson and WR Michael Calvin healthy? Ray Ratto takes a look at Bay Area college football and the types of faith on either side of the Bay Bridge.
- The Oregonian's College Football Preview. Oregon State QB Lyle Moevao is playing it cool. It's going to be hot at Stanford, perhaps in more ways than one, because the Beavers are hoping for a fast start.
- A Stanford preview. The Cardinal have some questions at WR. The keys to success. And 10 things to watch for in the Standford-OSU game.
- UCLA's Rick Neuheisel has a plan. Part of that plan is probably for DT Brian Price to terrorize offenses. Price suffered through a lot of pain before arriving in Westwood. It appears OT Micah Kia will be able to start against Tennessee with a cast on his injured hand. Here's how starting QB Kevin Craft ended up at UCLA. Practice notes.
- If USC QB Mark Sanchez goes down, it will be Aaron Corp coming in, not Mitch Mustain. Some reaction from Mustain. Checking in with Taylor Mays. And Virginia's 3-4 defense will be a good preview for California's new look.
- At Washington, a former walk-on will replace E.J. Savannah at LB. It's urgency time for Tyrone Willingham. A good way to improve: Stop the second-half meltdowns, which might happen with a more savvy, experienced Jake Locker. Noting Wednesday's practice. Success depends on a handful of freshmen growing up quickly.
- Bud Withers considers how long Washington State's Paul Wulff will need to adjust to Pac-10 football. He also looks at fifth-year senior QB Gary Rogers. T
he Cougars like playing a game in Seattle. From an unrecruited walk-on to Cougars OL starter, that's the short trip for local product Brian Danaher.
- Will 2008 be nearly as nutty as 2007? We shall see. Jake Curtis previews the Pac-10. So does Jonathan Okanes here.
Final Wyoming 14 2 Oregon 48 Final Illinois 19 Washington 44 Final Army 0 15 Stanford 35 Final Portland State 21 Washington State 59 Final 9 USC 31 Boston College 37 Final 12 UCLA 20 Texas 17 Final 16 Arizona State 38 Colorado 24 Final Nevada 28 Arizona 35