On the stage ... California
July, 24, 2012
By Kevin Gemmell | ESPN.com
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. -- A summary of Cal head coach Jeff Tedford, wide receiver Keenan Allen and defensive back Josh Hill.
- Tedford on getting back to playing on campus: “It’s great to move home to Memorial Stadium … I know the players are fired up and the fans are fired up.” He says that the first two rows of the field are down and they should be on the field Aug. 15. “I think our players did a very nice job of trying to block out the distractions [of not playing at home].” He said the home environment at Memorial Stadium will be very special.
- Tedford said he feels good about having a 3,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver and 1,000-yard rusher coming back. He said there is a lot of experience on the defensive line, but losing Mychal Kendricks is a big hole to fill.
- Tedford says he has a lot of confidence in quarterback Zach Maynard. “I think the early struggles were really just about game management and that comes with experience and knowledge of what we’re doing ... we expect big things out of him this year.”
- Allen says there are guys who can step up and replace Marvin Jones.
- Tedford says it’s going to be an exciting year with the four new coaches. “Year in and year out you learn to have a book on some of these teams. With four new coaches, it’s an opportunity to match up with some of these new offenses.”
- Tedford says offensive lineman Dominic Galas pulled his pectoral muscle and is having surgery Tuesday afternoon. How it looks in surgery will depend on rehab time but he’s estimating about three months.
- Allen says he plans to be 100 percent heading into camp. “If I had to play a game today, I’m not sure I could last all four quarters.”
- Tedford says if you ask the fans if they’d rather be in the national championship game or the Rose Bowl, they’d pick the Rose Bowl. “It’s the measuring stick on where you want to be."
- Tedford said spending time with the New England Patriots was great and he spent time looking at their tight end package. "I think that's going to be critical for our success this year." He says that being multiple in their formations will take a lot of the pressure off of Allen.
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State