- Ted Miller, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
If you don't like where you are in the power rankings, play better.
1. Oregon: The win over Washington State wasn't always pretty, particularly in the first half, but good teams know how to win ugly when everything isn't clicking. And the third-quarter assertion of will was impressive. The beloved Washington Huskies come to town Saturday for the annual snugglefest.
2. Oregon State: Not sure any team in the country can claim three better wins than the Beavers. A rejuvenated running game provides a nice complement to QB Sean Mannion and a potent downfield passing attack. Back home Saturday to host Washington State.
3. Washington: We still don't know how to define the Huskies. The 41-3 loss at LSU was bad. The 17-13 win over Stanford was a surprising -- and impressive -- reversal. The defensive revival will be tested in Autzen Stadium.
4. Stanford: The Cardinal offense wilted against Washington. It probably needs to rediscover its mojo quickly because Arizona is coming to town and the Wildcats can score points (as long as they aren't playing Oregon).
5. USC: Shhh. It's USC. Seems like everyone has forgotten about the Trojans. Might be a mistake. Headed to Utah on Thursday.
6. UCLA: The Bruins bounced back from their loss to Oregon State with a workmanlike domination of Colorado. They can make California even more miserable on Saturday.
7. Arizona State: The Sun Devils took another step forward with their first win at California since 1997. QB Taylor Kelly showed poise on the road, and the attacking defense keeps making plays. Arizona State is off this week, then has a visit to Colorado on Oct. 11.
8. Arizona: The Wildcats fought hard before yielding to Oregon State, but they are banged up and thin. The visit to Stanford, a team that will be highly motivated to reassert its physical style, could be taxing.
9. Utah: The Utes had an extra week to lick their wounds in advance of the USC visit. The season, however, could be transformed with a win over the Trojans. Along those lines ... how's John White's ankle?
10. California: It doesn't get any easier for the 1-4 Bears with UCLA coming to town. Problems start with the offensive line, then go to QB Zach Maynard missing the mark.
11. Colorado: It's back down to earth against UCLA. Buffs are off this week before Arizona State comes to town.
12. Washington State: The Cougars showed fight against Oregon, making a game of it at halftime. The third quarter provided a reality check. A visit to Oregon State is up next; maybe the Cougs can catch the Beavers resting on their laurels?
10hChantel Jennings and Ted Miller