Pac-10 lunch links: Vontaze Burfict update
August, 5, 2010
By Ted Miller | ESPN.com
I don't say he's a great man. Willie Loman never made a lot of money. His name was never in the paper. He's not the finest character that ever lived. But he's a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid. He's not to be allowed to fall in his grave like an old dog. Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person.
- Arizona begins practices trying to erase the bad memory of the Holiday Bowl (What Holiday Bowl?).
- A thorough report -- lots of good stuff -- from Arizona State's first day of practice, including a note about the on-going soap opera that is linebacker Vontaze Burfict. A former Sun Devil is stepping up for the New York Giants.
- California coach Jeff Tedford has something to prove this season. The Bears are rebuilding their secondary.
- While most folks think Nate Costa will win the Oregon quarterback job, Darron Thomas has his own ideas. The best analysis? Things aren't settled. A former Ducks quarterback is picking up his gamewith the Steelers.
- Oregon State's walk-on list. Check out all the Beavers in the NFL.
- Checking in with Stanford nose tackle Sione Fua.
- This UCLA player is an "X factor" at receiver.
- What's new at USC? Everything.
- USC's loss is Colorado's gain at receiver.
- Chatting with Washington quarterback Jake Locker.
- What to watch for as Washington State gets ready for preseason practices.
- Jon Wilner, a sometimes quirky AP poll voter, preemptively provides the AP guidelines to which he adheres.
- A Q&A with one of the best prep quarterbacks in the nation, who is choosing between Washington and UCLA.