Catching up on some odds and ends
June, 8, 2009
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
Picking up some Pac-10 odds and ends that got overlooked while I was on a mission in a galaxy far, far away ...
- Bud Withers on the death of former Washington coach Jim Owens.
- UCLA's redshirt freshman defensive end Damien Holmes underwent surgery to remove a bone fragment from his right elbow Friday. He is expected to be ready for fall practices.
- Arizona State defensive end Dexter Davis is writing a blog as part of requirements for a summer class. It's called "Sack Lunch with Dexter Davis."
- Three Pac-10 players made the top 10 of The Sporting News' Matt Hayes' list of the nation's best players in 2009 and a fourth ended up in the top 25.
- Details of new Washington coach Steve Sarkisian's contract were revealed by the Seattle Times.
- The U.S. military is interested in Pete Carroll's "Win Forever" philosophy, according to his Web site: "Carroll was a specially invited attendee and speaker at the military's Conference on Small Unit Excellence, a first-of-its-kind seminar in Alexandria, Va., in late April that has since laid the foundation for revolutionary shifts in the actions and attitudes of the country's armed forces."
- The Pac-10 is going to stick with round-robin scheduling and focus on cutting costs.
- Tom Luginbill believes touted quarterback Jake Heaps (Sammamish, Wash./Skyline High) made the right decision by picking BYU over Washington and others, and the Huskies have other QBs on their radar.
2:00 PM ET Hawaii Colorado 3:30 PM ET Utah Michigan 6:00 PM ET Georgia State Washington 10:00 PM ET California Arizona 10:30 PM ET 2 Oregon Washington State 10:30 PM ET San Diego State Oregon State