Blount, Ducks implode on blue turf at Boise State
September, 4, 2009
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
There are many things that can be said about Oregon's 19-8 loss at Boise State, but really everything must start with this: Boise State converted the first 18 first downs of the game.
Eighteen to zero until 7:07 remained in the third quarter.
Oregon had plenty of chances to come back and win. But it twice failed to convert on fourth downs in Broncos territory in the second half.
|Steve Dykes/Getty Images|
|LeGarrette Blount is escorted off the field by Oregon coach Chip Kelly Thursday night after Blount punched a Boise State player.|
One was a fourth-and-1 -- mano-a-mano -- and the Ducks got whupped.
LeGarrette Blount failed on that carry.
And then he went nuts after the game, punching a Boise State player and forcing security to drag him off the field when he went after some fans.
I feel sad for Blount.
But he deserves a long suspension, perhaps season-long, and he might have just cost himself an NFL opportunity.
A terrible night for the Ducks.
Great win for Boise State. Kudos to Broncos defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox, who just became the new hot coaching prospect on the West Coast.
- It wasn't the maligned Ducks defense's fault.
- Chip Kelly's debut as head coach/playcaller from the sideline wasn't impressive.
- Concerns about Oregon's offensive line proved valid. The Ducks got whipped up front, rushing for just 31 yards.
- Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli didn't carry over the poise and instincts he showcased at the end of the 2008 season.
- Safety T.J. Ward injured his leg in the third quarter and had to be helped off the field. It didn't look good.
- Boise State rushed for 141 yards; Oregon finished with 151 yards. Total.
- Not a good night for the Pac-10, which failed to make a statement with an early-season battle.
The Ducks bounced back from an ugly loss at home to the Broncos last year. But there were valid excuses in that game -- the whole quarterback injury issue, etc.
No excuses Thursday night on the blue turf. Oregon received the butt whippin' it promised to deliver.
So it took just one game for Kelly to encounter his first crisis as head coach.
We shall see.
6:47 4th Qtr 25 UCLA 31 Colorado 28 Halftime Oregon State 7 Stanford 28 6:00 PM ET 15 Arizona Washington State 10:00 PM ET 20 USC 19 Utah 10:45 PM ET 14 Arizona State Washington