Did you know? Pac-12 week 4
September, 21, 2012
By Ted Miller | ESPN.com
Some notes to get you through the hours until Saturday. Many thanks to ESPN Stats & Information.
- Arizona is averaging 604 yards per game. In just three games under new coach Rich Rodriguez, Arizona has posted two of its three highest total offense outputs in school history.
- Arizona has already knocked off No. 18 Oklahoma State this season. The Wildcats haven’t won multiple games against teams ranked in the top-20 since 1998. The last time UA beat a top-5 team was in 2007 against... No. 2 Oregon.
- Oregon RB/WR De’Anthony Thomas has seven touchdowns in just 24 offensive touches this season (13 runs, 11 catches). All four of his rushing touchdowns this season have been more than 30 yards.
- Since the start of 2010 season, Oregon leads FBS with the most touchdowns drives that lasted one minute or less (47), two minutes or less (97) and three plays or fewer (42). This season, Oregon has seven one-minute touchdown drives and 14 two-minute touchdown drives, both are second best in FBS.
- Oregon’s offense has 139 plays that have gained 25 yards or more since the start of 2010 season, the most in FBS. The Ducks have 12 such plays this season, which ranks 12th in FBS.
- Thomas leads FBS in yards per rush (17.5) this season. On seven of his 13 runs, Thomas has not been contacted until at least 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. His four touchdown runs of 30 yards or longer are the most in FBS.
- Oregon QB Marcus Mariota is completing 87.5 percent (14-16) of his passes when throwing outside the pocket this season. Mariota’s two incompletions were on a drop and a pass that was knocked away by the defender.
- Mariota has gained 42 rushing yards on eight scrambles this season (5.3 YPA). Last season, Darron Thomas gained 54 rushing yards on 12 scrambles (4.5).
- Mariota is completing 85.7 percent (12-14) of his passes on third down this season, best in the Pac-12 and third best in FBS. Mariota has been perfect on third down in two of Oregon’s three games this season, and has no interceptions or sacks in 16 dropbacks
- Oregon RB Kenjon Barner is averaging 7.3 yards per carry inside the tackles this season, compared to 4.5 yards outside the tackles. Barner has run inside the tackles on 44.6 percent of his runs this season. In 2011, 67.1 percent of his runs were inside the tackles.
- Arizona State is 17-6 against Utah and has won eight in a row in the series, including the past six games in Tempe. The first game since 1993, however, was last year's 35-14 Sun Devils victory in Salt Lake City. The two schools were conference rivals in the WAC from 1962 to 1977 until ASU joined the Pac-10 in 1978.
- The Sun Devils are third in the FBS with 9.67 tackles for a loss per game.
- This game features two of the nation's best punters. Utah's Sean Sellwood leads the nation with a 48.9-yard average. Arizona State's Josh Hubner is fifth at 46.9 yards per punt.
- USC has won eight straight meetings against California (including 2005 which was later vacated). Cal hasn’t won in the series since 2003 and hasn’t won in Los Angeles since 2000.
- California has 9 rushes of 20-plus yards this season, tied for fourth most in the FBS. California had three such runs against Ohio State, two of them went for a touchdown.
- Cal RB Brendan Bigelow had four carries against Ohio State, totaling 160 yards and two touchdowns. Bigelow joins Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas as the only player in the last 10 seasons to have more than 150 rushing yards on fewer than five carries.
- Since the start of 2009, Matt Barkley is completing 73.7 percent of play-action passes at home, with 15 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions.
- Stanford brought five or more pass-rushers on 18 of Matt Barkley’s 45 dropbacks Saturday, and he completed half of his throws for 119 yards and an interception against the Cardinal blitz. Entering Saturday, Barkley had not thrown an interception against five or more pass rushers since Week 4 of last season (119 consecutive pass attempts without an interception).
- UCLA has won seven of the last nine meetings with Oregon State. The Bruins are also looking for their first 4-0 start since 2005 when they started 8-0.
- The Bruins have scored at least 35 points in each game this season. They’re looking for their first four-game streak of 35 points since 1998, when they did it in five straight. Bruins fans will remember that season well -- it was their last Rose Bowl appearance.
- UCLA RB Jonathan Franklin has averaged 11.7 yards per rush on 17 rushes outside of the tackles this season.
- In its only game of the year, Oregon State held Montee Ball, who averaged for 8.2 yards per rush outside the tackles last season, to 22 yards in seven carries outside of the tackles.
- Franklin and QB Brett Hundley are averaging 9.1 yards per rush on zone-read plays this season.They are the top QB-RB rushing duo on the nation with 1,368 yards.
- In five receiver sets, Hundley has completed 8-of-9 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns.
- Colorado leads its series with Washington State 4-3, but the Cougars won a 31-27 thriller in Boulder last year. The Buffaloes led 27-17 with just over five minutes left, but a 63-yard TD pass from Marshall Lobbestael to Marquess Wilson with 1:10 remaining provided the winning margin.