Sunday, August 3, 2008
Pac-10 Sunday: Hitting all 10 programs
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
Practice? You're talking about practice? Not a game?
- The Arizona Daily Star provides a thorough look at Arizona's green defense, which probably only needs to be mediocre for the Wildcats to earn their first bowl berth since 1998.
- Is Arizona State ready for its closeup? I'll be visiting today and Monday to find out. In the meantime, here are 10 questions to occupy your Sun Devil curiosity.
- Jonathan Okanes whets California fans appetites with a list of newcomers to watch, while the Contra Costa Times doesn't just see a lot of questions with the Bears -- it sees a slew of them.
- Speaking of Cal -- who's the QB? Bet Jeff Tedford gets tired of questions about who's winning between Nate Longshore and Kevin Riley. Rusty Simmons has other questions, too.
- Oregon received a preseason ranking in the coaches poll. It starts camp trying to prove it's worthy of being No. 20... or perhaps higher. If the Ducks plan to fly, they may need to do it without touted DT recruit Justin Thompson.
- CB Brandon Hughes will lead the Oregon State secondary. Here's a day 2 report from Oregon State camp, including notes on QB Sean Canfield shaking off the rust. And even more, including a look at RB Jeremy Francis.
- Stanford has quarterback questions, but developing a running game may be even more important because it inevitably will help whoever wins the job.
- Brian Dohn is going position-by-position on his UCLA blog. Starts his review of the OL with, "Uh-oh." Dohn also talked to offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who subscribes to the KISS theory of offense: Keep It Simple Stupid.
- The Press-Enterprise adds to the discussion with its "Bruins Breakdown."
- A report from Pete Carroll's LA LivePeace "March for Kids." Among the nuggets: "Winning ain't that hard." On the football side of things, here's a Trojans Breakdown (notice the Press-Enterprise using a them here) and a story on Mark Sanchez.
- Speaking of Breakdowns -- Washington needs answers this season or more upheaval is likely.
- The Tacoma News Tribune has a nice package of stories on the Huskies. The top one is on the D-line. Also, good stuff here on the precarious coaching situation for Tyrone Willingham and, of course, QB Jake Locker.
- What issues are Washington State facing? Some ideas here.
- Finally, Bud Withers does a fine job of reviewing the arduous journey of Washington State coach Paul Wulff.