Friday, September 3, 2010
Week 1: Did you know?
By ESPN.com staff
Some quick notes to get you through the hours until Saturday.
- Arizona's visit to Toledo will be the first time a Pac-10 team has played in a MAC team's home stadium.
- Arizona State opens its season vs. back-to-back Big Sky opponents, starting with Portland State on Saturday. Because the Sun Devils play two FCS foes, they must win seven games to become bowl eligible.
- California is 8-0 all-time vs. UC Davis, but the last meeting was in 1939.
- Oregon has won 16 of 17 home openers, dating to 1993. The only loss during that span was a 30-24 defeat vs. Indiana in 2004.
- The Ducks will be without the services of running back LaMichael James and kicker Rob Beard as they serve one-game suspensions.
- Oregon State, which has never played TCU, opens the season against the Horned Frogs ranked in the Top 25 for first time since 2001.
- Oregon State: 1-3 in its past four seasons openers vs FBS schools.
- Stanford's game vs. Sacramento State has been designated as the Bill Walsh Legacy Game in honor of the Hall of Fame coach who had two separate stints at Stanford (1977-78; 1992-94).
- UCLA leads the series with Kansas State 1-0, winning last year 23-9.
- The Bruins have won three of four openers on the road this decade.
- BYU has won 4 of its plast 5 vs Pac-10 schools; Washington is 1-4 vs Mountain West competition since the conference was formed in 1999.
- Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian was the BYU quarterback in 1995-96.
- Washington State holds a 2-1 advantage vs.Oklahoma State, but the Cowboys won the last matchup 39-13 in 2008.