Thursday, July 23, 2009
While you were on vacation ... Arizona
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
The first of 10 quick updates on offseason Pac-10 goings on.
Arizona in a sentence
- Things are a lot more upbeat in Tucson after Arizona played in -- and won -- its first bowl game since 1998, but it seems as though some pundits believe key departures might cause the Wildcats to regress in 2009.
The big issue
- With the departure of four-year starter Willie Tuitama, the quarterback competition is tight between Matt Scott and Nick Foles. That will be the story of the preseason, while how the eventual winner performs could be the story of the season itself.
Quick hit news
- Defensive tackle Kaniela Tuipulotu, who dropped on the depth chart during spring practices, opted to transfer to Hawaii.
- As of today, coach Mike Stoops hasn't decided how he will handle incoming freshman cornerback Ryan Milus' decision to drop football in favor of track, which he wants to pursue at another school. Milus has asked for a release from his letter of intent. Stoops could grant it with or without conditions.
- Twenty of the 21 members of Arizona's recruiting class are already on campus. The only missing member is defensive tackle Sione Tuihalamaka, but coaches are optimistic he will be eligible.
- After a successful visit last year, Arizona will return to Fort Huachuca for fall camp, this time for an extended five-day stay, Aug. 12 to Aug. 17.