Tuesday, July 28, 2009
While you were on vacation... Stanford
By Ted Miller
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
The sixth of 10 quick updates on offseason Pac-10 goings on.
Stanford in a sentence
- With 17 starters back from a team that went 5-7 in 2008, not to mention seven home games, Stanford appears poised to earn its first bowl berth since 2001.
The big issue
- The Cardinal struggled to pass and defend the pass last year. Will an injection of youth improve the athleticism in the secondary? And with redshirt freshman quarterback Andrew Luck be the answer throwing the ball?
Quick hit news
- It remains unclear whether offensive tackle Allen Smith, who was granted a sixth year of eligibility after missing two seasons due to injury, will be able to resume his once-promising career. Smith has struggled to recover from a broken left knee cap. When healthy, he's the Cardinal's best blocker.
- Five players left the team and/or transferred: linebacker Fred Craig, safety Chase Richard, defensive tackle Padric Scott and quarterbacks Jason Forcier and Nick Ruhl.
- The Cardinal lead the Pac-10 with 23 commitments for the 2010 recruiting class.
- San Jose State backed out of a scheduled 2010 game in order to make a trip to Alabama. The Spartans also backed out of a game with Arizona State in order to play at Wisconsin.