Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Pac-12 movement on Kiper's mock draft
By Ted Miller
ESPN's NFL draft guru, Mel Kiper, has posted his newest mock draft, and there's lots of movement among former Pac-12 players, including a new face added to the first round and the return of an old one.
Here's the link to Kiper's latest first-round projection and here's what he had on Feb. 16.
Here are the Pac-12 players Kiper projects for the first round, including the team that will select them and their position in his previous mock draft.
13. Tyron Smith, OT, USC (Detroit): Up from 18th
18. Cameron Jordan, DE, California (San Diego): Down from 17
21. Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA (Kansas City): Same.
25. Jake Locker, QB, Washington (Seattle): Not on list.
26. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado (Baltimore): Down from 13.
28. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado (Chicago): Down from 19
30. Rahim Moore, S, UCLA (New York Jets): Same.
32. Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona (Green Bay): Not on list.
Obviously, Kiper has the Colorado pair, Smith and Solder, falling, though not necessarily based on anything they did or didn't do. He's made Tyron Smith the No. 1 offensive lineman in the draft (ahead of Solder, who once held that spot). He doesn't believe Ayers' surprisingly modest 40-yard dash at the combine matters that much. And he believes Locker has done enough since a disappointing season ended to regain his footing among scouts.
Finally, what a ride for Reed. At season's end, he was a "tweener" projected for the middle rounds. Now Kiper believes he might slip into the first round.