Friday, September 2, 2011
Pac-12: Did you know?
By ESPN.com staff
Some quick notes to get you through the hours until Saturday. Many thanks to ESPN Stats & Information.
- While some have said that LSU losing QB Jordan Jefferson to suspension isn't a huge deal, that's not completely true. For one, there's mobility. Jefferson ran for 32 first downs last season, 14 of which came after he improvised from the original play. LSU will not have this element to its offense against Oregon, as Jarrett Lee’s career-high in rushing is one yard.
- Lee also has struggled to throw the ball downfield over the past two seasons, completing just 5 of 26 throws of 15+ yards.
- Oregon ran for only 75 yards in the BCS Championship Game. It was only the second time in the past two seasons the Ducks were held under 100 yards rushing. The other was in the Ducks' season opening loss to Boise State in 2009.
- Since 2009, Ducks running back LaMichael James has 36 runs of 20-plus yards, tops in the FBS.
- LSU's defense is talented, but it hasn't been infallible stopping a spread rushing attack. Auburn racked up 440 rushing yards on LSU last year.
- Oregon led FBS in 2010 with 45 touchdown drives that lasted two minutes or less. The Ducks also led FBS with 23 touchdown drives of three plays or fewer.
- Oregon scored 27 offensive touchdowns from 25 yards or longer last season, which tied Auburn for the most in the nation. The Ducks scored at least two or more of these touchdowns in nine games last season, also tied for the most in FBS.
- Washington and Eastern Washington and Washington State and Idaho State are meeting for the first time.
- USC is 72-27-3 (.721) all-time versus the Big Ten. It has won 11 in a row against the conference and 32 out of 40.
- 70 players on USC's 112-man roster have never taken a snap for the Trojans.
- UCLA has won five of six season openers. It's 3-2 all-time against Houston, including last year's 31-13 victory.
- This is Oregon State and Sacramento State's second meeting. The Beavers won 40-7 in 2003.
- Stanford is 49-14-1 against San Jose State, including a 42-17 win in 2009.
- Fresno State leads its series with California 2-0, including a 17-3 victory in 2000.
- Washington hasn't won a season opener since 2007 -- Jake Locker's debut at Syracuse. Eastern Washington is the defending FCS champion and is preseason No. 1 in FCS.
- Washington State hasn't been 1-0 since 2005.