Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Pac-12 injury update: Criner, Prince, Tuel
By ESPN.com staff
What's up with Arizona receiver Juron Criner? When will Washington State quarterback Jeff Tuel be back? Will UCLA quarterback Kevin Prince be ready to play?
Unfortunately, there are major injury questions this week.
First, Criner's status is unclear. He could miss the Wildcats game at Oklahoma State on Thursday after he missed practice Monday due to "illness," though there is no official word on the nature of his illness. Coach Mike Stoops had little explanation on the Pac-12 conference call with reporters other than saying, "Yes," when he was asked if Criner would play against the Cowboys.
“I’m not going to talk about it,” he said “We hope he is back today.”
As for Tuel, coach Paul Wulff said Tuesday that it will take six to eight weeks for Tuel's fractured clavicle to heal, which is longer than initially reported. That means Marshall Lobbestael will pilot the team well into the Pac-12 schedule.
Over at UCLA, Kevin Prince suffered a concussion and sprained his right shoulder at Houston, but it's possible he could return to practice this week. If he does, coach Rick Neuheisel indicated that Prince would play against San Jose State. But the guess here is Richard Brehaut is certain to start, even if Prince is cleared.
Some other injury notes:
- Arizona guard Trace Biskin is nursing a knee injury lately and did not play against Northern Arizona. He's questionable for Thursday. Offensive lineman Shane Zink started in his place against the Lumberjacks.
- Arizona State offensive tackle Aderious Simmons is doubtful for the Missouri game on Friday due to a sprained ankle.
- Colorado's left tackle David Bakhtiari sprained his knee at Hawaii and is doubtful against California. Ryan Dannewitz replaced him Saturday.
- Oregon running back Kenjon Barner appears to have an ankle injury. He's questionable for the Nevada game.
- Oregon State coach Mike Riley said defensive tackle Kevin Frahm (knee) will play at Wisconsin. He said he expects to get word on defensive tackle Dominic Glover's academic status this week and he is optimistic that Glover will be able to play. Riley also said that tight end Joe Halahuni (shoulder) will return for the UCLA game on Sept. 24 and it's possible that wide receiver James Rodgers (knee) could return then also.
- UCLA linebacker Glenn Love (shoulder) is questionable for San Jose State. Offensive lineman Jeff Baca, who broke his ankle during spring practices, is expected to return to practices this week and could play Saturday.
- Suspended USC running back Marc Tyler has been reinstated and he will play against Utah. Offensive guard Abe Markowitz is questionable with a foot injury.
- Utah offensive guard Vyncent Jones and Offensive tackle John Cullen are expected to play against USC. running back Tauni Vakapuna (ankle) is questionable.
- Washington cornerback Quinton Richardson (ankle) is expected to play against Hawaii.