Thursday, September 4, 2008
Afternoon Musings: Trojans rule, Sparky endures
By ESPN.com staff
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
I collected these despite the tragic circumstances of a jammed iPod.
- USC's football monopoly isn't only about L.A., it's about all of college football. Consider this, pointed out by the Los Angeles Times' Adam Rose: The No. 1 ranked Trojans are nine weeks away from becoming the program that has spent the most weeks atop the AP poll.
- Sparky is safe. This news should help all of us sleep tonight.
- Ohio State RB Beanie Wells won't play this weekend against Ohio. Is he merely resting or really hurt?
- UCLA notes, including a tidbit on QB Ben Olson throwing passes in practice in full gear with a walking boot on. Still smiling over the Bruins.
- Washington State RB Dwight Tardy was a bright spot for the Cougars.
- Oregon's big back LeGarrette Blount is still learning how to practice at the FBS level.
- One week into the season, and BCS Guru has USC at No. 1, Oregon at 12, Arizona State at 17, UCLA at 22 and California at 23.
- California is a writerly team. First, there's Coach Blogger, er, Tedford. Then there's Alex Mack, journalist. Hope Bears fans appreciate Tedford's commitment to connecting with them -- it's not like he wasn't already sleeping in his office.