Thursday, March 15, 2012
Cal pro day: Calvin burns up the 40
By Kevin Gemmell
For many of the former Cal football players who weren't invited to the NFL combine last month, Wednesday was their lone chance to show the NFL scouts what they are capable of -- even if the weather wasn't completely cooperating.
Wide receiver Michael Calvin logged a consensus 4.32 in the 40-yard dash -- a mark that would have been faster than any player at this year's combine.
"When I got to the end, I turned around and everybody was staring at me and looking down comparing times, trying to make sure it was a consistent time," Calvin said in a news release from the school. "I knew it was a good thing, to see that I ran something fast."
Calvin also showed well in the broad jump (11'1") and the vertical jump (40.5"). The broad jump mark would have matched the best jump at the combine and the vertical jump would have tied for fourth best.
"It's a chance for me to show the assets that I have," Calvin said. "Being under the radar, it's good to get this kind of exposure. Showing some speed definitely helps, but I would also have liked to have run some routes. Everything looks great on paper, but I know these guys want to see what you can actually do as a far as position work goes."
The uncooperative weather rained out the position drills.
Linebacker Mychal Kendricks -- who posted a 4.47 in the 40 at the combine, which was tops among inside linebackers -- shaved a tenth of a second off his 20-yard shuttle time.
"Anything can happen in this draft,” Kendricks said. “You just want to get your foot in the door, and once you do, you have to take full advantage. Whether it’s in the first round, second or seventh, you just want to get picked somewhere you fit in. It’s all about what you can do on the field after you get picked. I plan on doing a lot of work on and off the field.”
Some results made available by the school and notes from the pro day:
- Calvin: 4.32 40-yard dash; 40.5” vertical; 11’1” broad jump; 4.09; 20-yard shuttle; 6.79 3-cone drill.
- Safety D.J. Campbell: 4.51 40-yard dash; 38” vertical; 10’7” broad jump; 4.18 20-yard shuttle; 22 bench press reps.
- Wide receiver Coleman Edmond: 41” vertical; 11’1” broad jump; 4.10 20-yard shuttle.
- Kendricks: 4.09 20-yard shuttle; 6.70 3-cone drill.
- Defensive lineman Ernest Owusu: 4.76 40-yard dash; 30” vertical; 9’4” broad jump; 39 bench press reps.
- Campbell’s 22 bench press reps would have been tied for first among safeties at the 2012 combine, while his 4.51 40-yard dash and 38” vertical jump would been second-best, and his 10’7” broad jump would have been tied for second-best among safeties.
- Kendricks’ time of 6.70 in the 3-cone drill would have been the best among linebackers and tied for 10th overall at the 2012 combine (Kendricks did not do the 3 cone drill at the 2012 combine).
- Former Cal players punter Bryan Anger, wide receiver Marvin Jones, offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz were in attendance at pro day but did not participate in any measurable drills (all three participated in the combine last month).