Monday, May 7, 2012
Notes on UCLA post-spring depth chart
By Ted Miller
UCLA has released a post-spring depth chart, but at least one person rated it as fairly worthless.
That would be new Bruins coach Jim Mora.
"I wouldn't put a lot into this depth chart," Mora said. "This depth chart to me is a piece of paper that as soon as we're done talking, I'm going to crumble up and throw in the trash. We wanted to give you something to work with."
That depth chart didn't include many revelations. The quarterbacks were listed in numerical order. Not including quarterback, there were "ORs" listed between six different positions.
You can see the depth chart -- and some notes from Jon Gold -- here.
- Quarterback still remains a three-man race between Brett Hundley, Richard Brehaut and Kevin Prince -- and, yes, I listed them in what I suspect to be their current order. Mora has said that he will announce a starter on Aug. 16. Why not after spring practices? "We didn't have a guy where it was clear-cut," Mora said.
- By the way, Mora went out of his way to praise quarterback Jerry Neuheisel, former coach Rick Neuheisel's son.
- Brehaut may have helped his cause by giving up baseball. Mora said he had nothing to do with that decision but, "I think it's significant. He's shown a commitment. He needs to show that commitment."
- The "ORs" on the depth chart: Jerry Johnson and Devin Lucien at receiver, Greg Capella and freshman Jake Brendel at center, Joseph Fauria and Darius Bell at receiver, Datone Jones and Owamagbe Odighizuwa at defensive end, Cassius Marsh and Odighizuwa at the other defensive end spot, and Jordan Zumwalt and Keenan Graham at outside linebacker.
- Wade Yandall is listed No. 1 at right offensive guard, but he's got concussion issues. Mora said his status is "very uncertain."
- Freshmen Torian White and Will Oliver are Nos. 1 and 2 at right tackle, ahead of senior Brett Downey.
- Sophomore Brandon Willis, a transfer from North Carolina, is No. 1 at nose guard.
- Junior Anthony Barr, a once-touted recruit who's mostly played offense, was No. 3 at one outside linebacker.
- Mora on cornerbacks Aaron Hester and Sheldon Price: "I feel comfortable with both of those guys."
- Mora said there will be some roster attrition this summer: "We've got some decision we've got to make and some guys who have got to make some decisions. This isn't for everybody . . . I still think there are a couple of guys who are half-in and half-out."
- Asked about freshmen he thinks will play, Mora listed: defensive tackle Ellis McCarthy, defensive back Ishmael Adams, wide receiver Jordan Payton, safety Taylor Lagace, offensive lineman Simon Goines and offensive lineman Carl Hulick.