Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Pac-12 Heisman tracker
By Kevin Gemmell
Another slow week for the Pac-12 when we take a look at the Heisman tracker. Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas is the only Pac-12 player still in the top five in the ESPN.com poll, coming in tied for third with Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller. Three others are receiving votes. Here's the breakdown:
De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon, WR/RB
Others receiving votes
- Week 5 numbers: 6 carries for 26 yards and a touchdown. 6 catches for 28 yards and no touchdowns.
- Season numbers: 31 carries for 302 yards (9.7 yards per carry) with five touchdowns. 19 catches for 193 yards and three touchdowns.
- What went well: For one, he got in the end zone after taking a touchdown hiatus in the 49-0 win over Arizona. Again, he didn't get many touches, but he did what he could with the little work he got.
- Any questions? Kenjon Barner is playing really, really good football right now. And he's getting significantly more touches. Thomas' yards per carry have dropped the last couple of weeks, and so have his highlights.
Matt Barkley, USC, QB
Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
- Week 5 numbers: Bye
- Season numbers: Has completed 88 of 143 passes (61.5 percent) for 1,005 yards with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions.
- Thoughts: It's not too late for Barkley to turn this thing around and go on a serious run. It starts Thursday night in front of a nationally televised audience. A good showing on the road against Utah could be just the thing to kick-start his campaign ... or completely knock him out of the running.
Johnathan Franklin, UCLA, RB
- Week 5 numbers: 20 carries for 195 yards (9.8 per carry) and three touchdowns. 3 catches for 37 yards and a score.
- Season numbers: 96 carries, 605 yards (6.3 yards per carry) with nine touchdowns. Also has 11 catches for 111 yards and a score.
- Thoughts: Barner was on my ballot this week. Not sure if he's on anyone else's yet. But he has three multi-touchdown games and is playing the position as well and consistently as any back in the country right now.
- Week 5 numbers: 15 carries for 111 yards (7.4 yards per carry) with no touchdowns. He also caught 3 balls for 48 yards with no touchdowns.
- Season numbers: Has 93 carries for 697 yards with three touchdowns. He's caught 12 balls for 180 yards and a score.
- Thoughts: Franklin slipped off a lot of ballots after the loss to Oregon State, but he responded with his fourth 100-plus-yard game of the season. However, he hasn't had a rushing touchdown since Aug. 30. That's something that doesn't go unnoticed.