Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Pac-12 Heisman tracker
By Kevin Gemmell
Collin Klein looks to be running away with it, but there's still time. Just three weeks ago we thought Geno Smith was running away with it. That's why this is the Heisman tracker -- not projector. There is still time for say, a Kenjon Barner, to step up and make a late-season push. Barner still sits in the No. 3 hole this week in the ESPN.com poll, tied with AJ McCarron. Three other Pac-12 players picked up votes -- including Marqise Lee, who had been absent from the poll for a couple of weeks. Here's how the Pac-12 players shake out. As always, you can see the results of the weekly ESPN.com poll here.
Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
Others receiving votes
- Week 9 numbers: Carried nine times for 104 yards with two touchdowns. He also caught two balls for 47 yards.
- Season numbers: Has 141 carries for 974 yards (6.9 average) with 14 rushing touchdowns. Has 13 catches for 158 yards and a score.
- What went well: Everything. Barner is the most complete running back in the country right now.
- Any questions? Is there enough time for him to make a serious push? The USC game doesn't carry as much weight as it did in the preseason, but it's still going to bring a lot of East Coast and national eyes on the Ducks.
De'Anthony Thomas, RB/WR, Oregon
Matt Barkley, QB, USC
- Week 9 numbers: Carried five times for 97 yards and a touchdown. Had one reception for nine yards and one unbelievable punt return for a touchdown.
- Season numbers: Has 58 carries for 499 yards with seven rushing touchdowns and has caught 24 balls for 218 yards and three scores.
- Thoughts: Absolutely ridiculous athleticism and speed, as evidenced by the punt return. The punt return is exactly why he belongs in the conversation. But with all of the touches Barner is getting, expect many to start throwing their votes toward Oregon's other back as things get tighter.
Marqise Lee, WR, USC
- Week 9 numbers: Completed 31 of 49 passes for 493 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.
- Season numbers: Has completed 171 of 262 attempts (65.3 percent) with 25 touchdowns and eight interceptions.
- Thoughts: Statistically, there were lots of season highs for Barkley -- including completions, attempts and yards. But the two picks were killers and being saddled with the loss hurts. This weekend is a last-gasp effort for him.
- Week 9 numbers: Caught 16 balls for a Pac-12 record 345 yards with two touchdowns.
- Season numbers: Has 76 catches for 1,129 yards with 10 touchdowns.
- Thoughts: He probably won't get an invite to New York for the Heisman, but he might have locked up the Biletnikoff Award last Saturday.