Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Pac-12 Heisman tracker
By Kevin Gemmell
The knee jerkers are out in full force, and Kenjon Barner has slipped from second to third in the ESPN.com Heisman poll. Collin Klein and Barner both had slow weeks, but Johnny Manziel made the huge jump from No. 6 to No. 2 in the poll in the wake of the Alabama upset. Once again, we're down to just two Pac-12 players receiving votes, with Barner and USC wide receiver Marqise Lee, who is just outside the top five at No. 6. To the tracker:
Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
Others receiving votes
- Week 11 numbers: Carried 20 times for 65 yards with no touchdowns. Caught three balls for 35 yards and no touchdowns.
- Season numbers: Has 199 carries for 1,360 yards (6.8 average) with 19 touchdowns. Has caught 18 balls for 219 yards and a TD.
- What went well: Oregon won big and is now the No. 1 team in the nation in both human polls and No. 2 in the BCS standings. Over the next three weeks, a very bright national spotlight will be on the Ducks, so Barner will have ample opportunity to impress.
- Any questions? This was his worst game of the year in terms of yards per carry (3.3), and he failed to reach the end zone for just the third game this year. He also missed a couple of series with a hand injury, but he returned. He'll need to make a huge splash over the next two (three?) weeks to make up ground.
Marqise Lee, WR, USC
- Week 11 numbers: Caught 10 balls for 161 yards and a touchdown.
- Season numbers: Has 98 catches for 1,447 yards and 13 touchdowns.
- Thoughts: As USC's national status continues to trend down, so do Lee's chances of winning the Heisman. But he had six touchdowns in the past three weeks and is without a doubt (at least in my totally biased mind) the best wide receiver in the country. Will be shocking if he doesn't win the Biletnikoff Award.