Wednesday, May 22, 2013
QBs here today, QBs gone tomorrow
By Kevin Gemmell
Quarterbacks come and go for a variety of reasons. Some simply aren't happy in a new state or in another part of the country. Others decide football isn't the sport for them. Many feel their talents are being wasted on the bench. It always seems like the grass is greener. Sometimes the move works out. Sometimes it doesn't.
Inspired by the move of Wes Lunt to leave Oklahoma State, the Pac-12 blog thought it would be fun to look back fondly at some of the quarterbacks who have left the conference following the 2008 season (a full four-year cycle). A special thanks to the league's sports information directors for helping compile this list and whatever information is available (which isn't the case with some players).
Here's the team-by-team breakdown of some of the recently departed signal callers no longer calling signals in the Pac-12.
- Tom Savage: Transferred to Pitt after the 2011 season. Eligible to play in 2013.
- Cam Allerheiligen: Left after the 2011 season. Went on to play baseball at Weatherford College.
- No QB transfers since 2008.
- Beau Sweeney: Transferred after the 2010 season to Cornell. Appeared as a quarterback and TE/H-Back.
- Allan Bridgford: Transferred after the 2012 season to Southern Miss.
- Matt Ballenger: Transferred after the 2008 season to College of Idaho and went on to be an all-conference basketball player.
- Nick Hirschman: Transferred to Akron following the 2012 season.
- Chris Harper: Transferred to Kansas State after the 2008 season and became a wide receiver, leading the Wildcats in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns in 2011.
- Justin Roper: Transferred to Montana after the 2008 season, completed 61.5 percent of his throws with 19 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in 2010.
- Jeremiah Masoli: Transferred to Mississippi after the 2009 season. Is now with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League.
- Brennan Doty: (Walk-on) transferred to Lamar to play basketball.
- Bryan Bennett: Transferred to Southeastern Louisiana after the 2012 season.
- Justin Engstrom: Transferred to Portland State after the 2008 season. Was a backup.
- Brennan Sim: Transferred to South Alabama after the 2008 season.
- Peter Lalich: Transferred to California University of Pennsylvania after the 2009 season.
- Ryan Katz: Transferred to San Diego State before the 2012 season and was the starter until an injury knocked him out for the year.
- Jack Lomax: Left the team prior to the 2012 season.
- L.D. Crow: Transferred to UCF after the 2008 season.
- Nick Ruhl: (Walk-on) transferred to Menlo College after the 2008 season. Returned to Stanford and graduated with two degrees.
- Adam Brzeczek: (Walk-on) transferred to Montana after the 2011 season. Did not attempt a pass in 2012, but appeared in two games and rushed for 33 yards on three carries with a touchdown.
- Brett Nottingham: Transferred to Columbia after the 2012 season.
- Chris Forcier: Transferred to Furman after the 2008 season.
- Nick Crissman: Graduated in 2012, but intended to transfer to play one more year
- Aaron Corp: Transferred to Richmond after the 2009 season.
- Jesse Scroggins: Trasnferred to El Camino Junior College after the 2011 season and has since joined Arizona.
- Corbin Louks: Transferred to Nevada after the 2008 season.
- Griff Robles: Transferred after the 2011 season to Dixie State College. Utah had converted Robles to a linebacker, but he wanted to play quarterback. Appeared in 11 games last year, completing 50.9 percent of his throws with 16 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.
- Tyler Shreve: Transferred to Riverside Community College after the 2011 season to play football and baseball.
- Ronnie Fouch: Transferred to Indiana State after the 2009 season. Went on to start 22 games and posted 38 touchdowns to 15 interceptions with more than 4,300 passing yards in his career.
- Nick Montana: Transferred to to Mt. San Antonio College after the 2011 season and is now at Tulane.
- J.T. Levenseller: Transferred to Eastern Washington after the 2008 season.
- Cody Clements: Transferred to Cerritos College following the 2012 season.