Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Arizona State's Nixon leads the smart guys
By ESPN.com staff
Let us remember as the season winds down that the teams we follow with such passion are made up of college students.
So, we present this year's Pac-10 All-Academic team, which is topped by three-time first-team selection Mike Nixon, the fine linebacker -- and former professional baseball player -- from Arizona State.
Last week, Nixon also was named a first-team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American. In addition to Nixon, nine other players were named to the Pac-10 academic team for the second time.
You also will notice that Stanford's Toby Gerhart, a top Heisman Trophy candidate, is a first-team member. Gerhart boasts a 3.25 GPA in management science & engineering, which sounds hard to me.
For those keeping score -- you always do -- Stanford has the most first-team members with eight. Washington State has five and Oregon State four. California has three, Oregon has two and Arizona State, UCLA and Washington have one apiece.
Neither Arizona nor USC had a first-team member.
To be eligible for selection, a student-athlete must have a minimum 3.0 overall grade-point average and be either a starter or significant substitute.
To see the second-team and honorable mentions, click here.
Pos. Name, School Yr. GPA Major
(2) Two-time first-team All-Academic selection
- QB Andrew Luck, Stanford RFr. 3.55 Undeclared
- RB Josh Catron, Stanford Sr. 3.48 Economics
- RB Toby Gerhart, Stanford Sr. 3.25 Management Science & Engineering
- WR Casey Kjos, Oregon State (2) Jr. 3.63 Psychology & Sociology
- WR Alex Lagemann, California Jr. 3.68 Media Studies
- TE David Paulson, Oregon So. 3.68 Business Administration
- OL Mark Boskovich, California (2) Jr. 3.73 Political Science
- OL Micah Hannam, Washington State (2)Jr. 3.59 Civil Engineering
- OL Andrew Phillips, Stanford Jr. 3.53 Classics
- OL Chris Prummer, Washington State Jr. 3.88 Zoology
- OL Carson York, Oregon RFr. 3.70 Journalism
- DL Kevin Frahm, Oregon State So. 3.24 Political Science
- DL Kevin Kooyman, Washington State Sr. 3.16 Management & Operations
- DL Erik Lorig, Stanford Sr. 3.12 Public Policy
- DL Tom McAndrew, Stanford (2) Sr. 3.58 Science, Technology & Society
- LB Mike Mohamed, California (2) Jr. 3.43 Business Administration
- LB Mike Nixon, Arizona State (3) Sr. 4.07 Political Science
- LB Will Powers, Stanford (2) Sr. 3.48 Classics
- DB Victor Aiyewa, Washington (2) Jr. 3.36 Sociology
- DB Cameron Collins, Oregon State (2) So. 3.37 Business
- DB Jay Matthews, Washington State RFr. 3.68 Undeclared
- DB Chima Nwachukwu, Washington State (2)Jr. 3.79 Political Science
- PK Nate Whitaker, Stanford Jr. 3.38 Engineering
- P Jeff Locke, UCLA RFr. 3.69 Undeclared
- RS Taylor Kavanaugh, Oregon State Sr. 3.28 Construction Engineering
(3) Three-time first-team All-Academic selection