Friday, August 16, 2013
By Kevin Gemmell
ESPN.com has released its 2013 preseason All-America team. And the Pac-12 is well represented on both sides of the ball (and in the return game).
Eight players from the Pac-12 were named to the preseason squad, along with eight from the SEC. Headlining the group is Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.
You can see the complete All-America team here.
Here’s the Pac-12 roundup, along with some helpful numbers from 2012:
- QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon: 230 of 336 last season for 2,677 yards, 32 touchdowns, six interceptions, 68.5%
- WR Marqise Lee, USC: 118 catches, 1,721 yards, 14 touchdowns
- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington: 69 catches, 852 yards, seven touchdowns
- OG David Yankey, Stanford: Consensus All-American in 2012
- DT Will Sutton, Arizona State: 13 sacks, 23.5 tackles for a loss
- LB Anthony Barr, UCLA: 13.5 sacks, 21.5 tackles for a loss
- DB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon: 16 breakups, four interceptions, one touchdown
- KR De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon: 24.3 kickoff return average (one touchdown), 17.1 punt return average (1 touchdown).
The Pac-12 also had three players on the All-America freshmen team (hint: all three are in Los Angeles). You can see the complete list here.