Monday, August 25, 2014
Pac-12 by the numbers: Week 1
By Kyle Bonagura
All 12 Pac-12 teams are in action this week, which means we can soon wave goodbye to preseason hype and focus on things that actually matter. To tide you over between now and Thursday, when three teams begin their seasons, here are five random stats or notes relating to each game.
Want another hard-to-find stat looked up? I take requests on Twitter.
Idaho State at Utah
Rutgers vs. Washington State, in Seattle
- Utah is 6-0 against Idaho State and 36-0 against teams currently in the Big Sky Conference.
- Coach Kyle Whittingham was the Utes' defensive line coach the last time Utah played Idaho State ... a 66-0 win in 1994. It was his second game on the staff.
- Dating back to its win at Michigan in 2008, the Utes have won their last six season openers.
- Since joining the Pac-12 in 2011, Utah has the conference's third-best winning percentage in nonconference games at 90 percent (9-1). During those games, it has outscored opponents by an average of 18.7 point per game -- also the third-best mark in the conference.
- In their 10 nonconference games over the past three years, the Utes have only committed a total of six turnovers and are plus-17 in that span.
Weber State at No. 19 Arizona State
- The Cougars are 5-6 when playing at CenturyLink Field, dating back to the first-ever football game played in the stadium -- a win against Nevada in 2002.
- Breakdown of where WSU QB Connor Halliday threw the ball last year: Left of the hashmarks: 31.2 percent. Between the hashmarks: 19.3 percent. Right of the hashmarks 49.4 percent.
- Combined record of teams Rutgers beat last year: 17-54. Of those wins, only 11 were against FBS teams.
- The last time WSU hosted a Big Ten team in Seattle, it lost 42-7 to Ohio State in 1974 -- the first Heisman-winning season for Buckeyes running back Archie Griffin.
- Bob Robertson is set to begin his 48th season in the radio booth for WSU football games -- the longest streak in the country -- but will shift from play-by-play to analyst duties.
- Since coach Todd Graham and offensive coordinator Mike Norvell arrived in 2012, Arizona State has averaged 41.8 points per game in nonconference games.
- In both games it played against FBS teams last year -- Utah and Utah State -- Weber State allowed 70 points.
- In 195 career carries, running back D.J. Foster has never lost a fumble.
- QB Taylor Kelly's passes averaged 8.6 yards in the air last season, the second-most in the Pac-12 behind Stanford's Kevin Hogan (10.52).
- Kicker Zane Gonzalez made more field goals (25) than anyone in the country last year.
Colorado State vs. Colorado
UNLV at Arizona
- The Buffaloes are 7-3 vs their in-state rivals since 2004 and have scored on 35 percent of their 124 drives in that span.
- How important was wide receiver Paul Richardson to the Colorado offense? He had the highest percent of his team's receptions (35.3) and touchdown catches (47.6) in the conference last year.
- Only Oregon State (24) had more first downs from penalties last year than Colorado (24) in the Pac-12.
- Colorado ranked last in the Pac-12 in drives of 60-plus yards last year (30).
- Only 10 FBS teams in the country committed fewer penalties than Colorado (50) last year.
- Arizona is 2-0 against UNLV all-time after a 58-13 win last season.
- In two years at Arizona, coach Rich Rodriguez has yet to lose against a team outside the Pac-12 (8-0). In those games, the Wildcats' average margin of victory (26.6) is second-best in the conference behind Oregon (35.9).
- Freshly-minted starting QB Anu Solomon, a redshirt freshman, was a rare four-year varsity starter in high school at Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas. He led the Gaels to state titles all four years.
- Worth pointing out (again): Ka'Deem Carey led the nation with 3,814 yards rushing over the past two seasons and Terris Jones-Grigsby, who is now atop the Arizona depth chart, is a redshirt senior without a carry in his career.
- The Wildcats have rushed for at least 185 yards as a team in eight straight games, the fourth-longest active streak in the country.
No. 7 UCLA at Virginia
Cal at Northwestern
- Since 2004, current Pac-12 teams are 16-4 against ACC teams and 3-2 on the road. Average margin in those 20 games: plus-17.5.
- Virginia had just one win against an FBS team last year (beat BYU 19-16) and has the nation's fourth-longest losing streak (9 games).
- Since Jim Mora has been at UCLA, the Bruins are 7-1 in nonconference games.
- Brett Hundley's odds to win the Heisman Trophy, according to Bovada: 10-to-1.
- UCLA was the second-most penalized team in the nation last year at 8.15 per game, behind only Baylor.
Portland State at Oregon State
- Cal QB Jared Goff led the nation in yards passing per nonconference game last year (435.3).
- The last time Cal had a second-half lead against an FBS team came against Northwestern in the season opener last year. The Bears led 24-20 early in the third before losing 44-30.
- Cal and Miami (Ohio) share the nation's longest losing streak against FBS teams (16).
- The Bears have allowed at least 30 points in 14-straight games, the longest streak in the country.
- Dating back to 2004, Pac-12 teams are a combined 29-18 against Big Ten teams.
UC Davis at Stanford
- Three Portland State players (receiver Stevie Coury, punter Kyle Loomis and defensive tackle Joe Lopez) transferred from Oregon State and a total of eight Vikings transferred from Pac-12 schools.
- Oregon State has finished ranked in the final AP poll in four of the last eight seasons.
- Oregon State went 3-and-out on just 16.6 percent of its drives last season, the second-lowest rate in the Pac-12.
- Where Sean Mannion ranked nationally last year: completions (3), attempts (3), passing yards (2), touchdown passes (t4), completions of 20-plus yards (t3).
- Mannion's Heisman odds are 50-to-1, according to Bovada.
Fresno State at No. 15 USC
- In 2005, Davis' last trip to Stanford, the Aggies won 20-17.
- Stanford rushing yards by direction in 2013: outside left tackle (824), toward left guard (380), up the middle (736), toward right guard (361), outside right tackle (681).
- On average, passes travelled 14.6 yards in the air when targeting receiver Devon Cajuste last year -- the highest in the Pac-12.
- On passing plays, Stanford targeted its tight ends at a 3.5-percent clip last year. In 2012, that number was 38.1.
- In games played before November since David Shaw took over, the Cardinal is 21-3.
No. 25 Washington at Hawaii
- Since the Pac-12 expanded in 2011, the conference is 19-7 against the Mountain West.
- Despite their relative proximity, USC and Fresno State have met just three times in history with the Trojans holding a 2-1 advantage following last year's 45-20 win.
- USC's all-time record with Steve Sarkisian on the coaching staff: 75-15.
- USC is one of seven teams in the country -- and only school in the Pac-12 -- that hasn't lost to a non-AQ school in the past 10 years.
- Among players with at lest 15 punt returns last year, Nelson Agholor ranked second in the country averaging 19.1 yards per return.
South Dakota at No. 3 Oregon
- New coach Chris Petersen's record in eight seasons at Boise State: 92-12.
- Hawaii was 0-2 against the Pac-12 last year and lost its first 11 games before winning the season-finale against Army.
- Washington ranked second in the Pac-12 averaging 499.3 yards per game last season.
- The Huskies held opponents to a Pac-12 best 34.6-percent conversion rate on fourth down last year.
- Cornerback Josh Shaw leads the nation in children saved from drowning.
Statistics via ESPN TruMedia
- Oregon ranked second in the country in yards per play (7.6) last year, behind Florida State (7.7).
- QB Marcus Mariota owns the Pac-12 record for consecutive passes without an interception (327).
- Since Chip Kelly installed his offense in 2007, Oregon's average margin per game is plus-20.5 -- the best among Power-Five teams.
- South Dakota's last game against a ranked FBS team came in 2011, a 59-10 loss to No. 6 Wisconsin.
- No team in the country attempted more 2-point conversions last year than the Ducks (6).