Pac-12: Xavier Ramos
July, 8, 2008
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller
The fourth of 10 quick updates of offseason Pac-10 goings on.
In a sentence:
- While most schools would fret losing a star quarterback and tailback to the NFL draft, the Ducks appear quietly confident that there will be little drop-off on offense with duel-threat QB Nate Costa and a defense that features one of the nation's best secondaries.
- Will inexperience at the skill positions and a questionable defensive interior keep the Ducks from remaining among the elite in the top-third of the conference?
- Word is three Ducks starters recovering from knee surgery should be good to go by the start of preseason practices -- quarterback Nate Costa, tailback Jeremiah Johnson and linebacker John Bacon. Linebacker Jerome Boyd (foot surgery) told the Register-Guard that he's "90 percent."
- Three transfers are already on campus: Quarterback Jeremiah Masoli and receiver Ellis Krout, both JC transfers, and tight end Na'Derris Ward, who's redirected from Georgia.
- Oregon took an embarrassing national hit when it yanked a scholarship offer from defensive back Xavier Ramos of St. Bonaventure High in Ventura, Calif. -- after Ramos had accepted the offer. The St. Bonaventure coach subsequently told reporters that Oregon was no longer welcome on campus.
- The Ducks also lost three players over the summer for various reasons: Receiver Derrick Jones (off-field issues) and quarterbacks Cody Kempt and Cade Cooper (who transferred to Montana State and Southern Utah, respectively). The QB depth chart now includes Costa, Justin Roper, Chris Harper, Darron Thomas and Masoli.
Final Wyoming 14 2 Oregon 48 Final Illinois 19 Washington 44 Final Army 0 15 Stanford 35 Final Portland State 21 Washington State 59 Final 9 USC 31 Boston College 37 Final 12 UCLA 20 Texas 17 Final 16 Arizona State 38 Colorado 24 Final Nevada 28 Arizona 35