Beyonce marks shift in Super Bowl singers
October, 16, 2012
By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com
Johnny Nunez/WireImageBeyonce, 31, is the youngest Super Bowl halftime headliner since Justin Timberlake in 2004.Beyonce being the halftime act for the Super Bowl, as reported by The Associated Press today, seems to be the beginning of the NFL skewing younger.
Following the "wardrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake in 2004, it seemed like the league loved going with the old. From 2005 through last year, the average age of the Super Bowl halftime performer was 52 years old. But now we'll have two out of the past three Super Bowls in which the halftime performers are under 50, with Beyonce the youngest since Timberlake.
The ages of the halftime performers since that infamous '04 show:
- 2005: Paul McCartney (62)
- 2006: Rolling Stones -- Mick Jagger (62), Keith Richards (62)
- 2007: Prince (48)
- 2008: Tom Petty (57)
- 2009: Bruce Springsteen (59)
- 2010: The Who -- Roger Daltry (65), Pete Townshend (64)
- 2011: Black Eyed Peas -- Will I Am (35), Fergie (35), Usher (32), Slash (45)
- 2012: Madonna (53)
- 2013: Beyonce (31)
- darren rovell retweeted