Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Super Bowl costs going up, up, up ...
By Kristi Dosh
Having thoughts of a last-minute trip to the Super Bowl? Prepare to outlay a boatload of cash. For those interested in the latest on tickets, travel and hotels, here are some mind-boggling notes:
• Super Bowl ticket prices have risen 9.7 percent since Sunday, according to TiqIQ.com, an online aggregator of event tickets. The current average price is $4,001, up nearly 10 percent from last year and a whopping 72 percent over 2010’s contest in Miami. On the high end, TiqIQ has a $15,786 ticket in Section 140, Row 8 and a suite for more than $587,000.
• StubHub says the get-it-now price for a game ticket is $2,300, but prices are expected to fluctuate. The median price, not skewed by a few high-end tickets, is $2,800, about $200 below last year’s median at this same time. “We've seen national interest -- over 4 million pageviews since Sunday,” said StubHub’s head of U.S. Communications, Joellen Ferrer. “While Giants and Patriots fans have a loyal backing, they don't have the same rabid traveling fan base as the Packers.”
• Ticket purchases are coming from expected areas: Since Monday, 29 percent of all StubHub buyers have been from the New York-New Jersey regions, with 19 percent from the New England area. NFL Ticket Exchange is seeing a similar trend, with 22 percent of purchases coming from New York and New Jersey buyers, and 12.5 percent coming from Massachusetts and Connecticut.
• Flight costs are rising alongside ticket prices. Flights from Boston-Logan and Manchester, N.H., airports to Indianapolis have risen 16 percent since Friday, according to Orbitz.com. The average rate is now $896. New York fans have seen an even larger increase of 46 percent, with the current average rate at $911. Even with the higher costs, New Yorkers are booking more flights -- about 67 percent more -- than New Englanders, according to Orbitz.
• It’s probably no surprise that hotels in Indianapolis are sold out, at least according to Orbitz. Fifteen miles from downtown, the average rate is $500 a night, up from $85 a night the rest of the year. Cheaper options are available 30 miles out, near Anderson, Ind., at $150 a night.