Trending: It's Metta Man to the rescue!
The Stanley Cup finals begin Wednesday in New Jersey. Earlier this week, we brought you good wishes for @LAKings courtesy of Tom Hanks. Support runs in the family:
Cartoonist Larry Johnson Wednesday tweeted his take of the current state of NBA officiating just in time for Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals:
What’s better than a 2-0 lead in the West? How about some free coffee:
Carolina Panthers cornerback Darius Butler was one of many impressed with San Antonio’s dominant effort in Game 2 against Oklahoma City. Paul Pierce might disagree:
Spurs win 20th in a row. These dudes are the TRUTH— Darius Butler (@DariusButler27) May 30, 2012
The Spurs streak has been costly to their NBA opponents, along with the rest of us:
Since the last time the San Antonio Spurs lost, the U.S. National Debt has increased by approximately $189,120,000,000. #GoSpursGo— D. Scott Fritchen (@DScottFritchen) May 30, 2012
Jay Feeley was impressed:
That was a clinic by the San Antonio Spurs— Jay Feely (@jayfeely) May 30, 2012
The Cardinals kicker then added this kicker – a beautiful shot of the Arizona sunset.
Great finish to a wonderful summer vacation day moby.to/fopdi2— Jay Feely (@jayfeely) May 30, 2012
David Ortiz thought something special was in the air at Fenway Park besides the thunderstorm that delayed Tuesday night’s 6-3 win over MVP Justin Verlander and the Detroit Tigers:
Good day to get over 500!!!!See you guys at Fenway ....go sox...34— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) May 29, 2012
He went 3-for-4 with his 11th home run of the season and may have strained his shoulder patting himself on the back:
Good prediction by me facing the— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) May 30, 2012
best pitcher in the game!!!!! Go sox 34
• Print and make your own Miami Heat cutout dolls and put them wherever you’d like. That can be good or bad. (South Florida Sun-Sentinel)
• The NHL will face some rough labor issues once the Stanley Cup Finals are finished, and owners could be seen as the “greedy” party this time, writes Tony Gallagher. (The Province)
• Dr. Shaq’s entertainment company is hoping to bring the laughs to a city near you. The All Star Comedy Jam begins in Chicago on June 15 and ends New Year’s Eve in Atlanta. For tickets and more info, visit Shaqallstarcomedyjam.com.
• Kim Kardashian may have eyes for a big NFL target – Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. The two were spotted “flirting” together at her recent pool party in Atlantic City. (MediaTakeOut)
• Todd Frazier of the Reds came turned the term “choking in the clutch” inside out when he performed the Heimlich Maneuver on a restaurant patron in Pittsburgh, dislodging a piece of steak from the man’s throat. “I ran over there and said, ‘let me try it.’ I tried it twice. It popped out. It was monster piece. The guy was very thankful,” Frazier said Tuesday. “The lady he was with was crying. It was surreal. I never done it before in my life.” (Cincinnati Enquirer)
If you see any offbeat newsy links or interesting items from your favorite sports site or Twitter that might be of interest to others, pass them along to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet them to me at @BillSperos.