49ers Camp Report: Day 11
August, 5, 2014
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
A daily review of the hot topics coming out of the San Francisco 49ers training camp:
- The San Francisco 49ers will meet the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night for the first time since losing to the Ravens in the final seconds of the Super Bowl 18 months ago. 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick said revenge isn't at the forefront because it's a preseason game. "This is preseason. If it was a regular-season game, yeah, it would be a little bit different,” Kaepernick said. "But right now we're trying to make sure we go out and do things we need to do as a team to get better and get ready for the season.” Still, Kaepernick, who coach Jim Harbaugh, said Monday will play a drive or two against the Ravens said the 49ers have a simple goal for the preseason. "Winning. You go out, every time you run a play, every time you step on the field you do it to win and that's what we plan to do,” Kaepernick said.
- This 49ers' training camp has been spunky. There have been numerous scrapes. Kaepernick said the tension has risen because there is so much competition on the field because the team is so strong. "I think it's the level of competition is higher,” Kaepernick said. "The first year, everyone was just trying to understand and see where they fit in. I think now everyone is confident in what our offense is doing, what our defense is doing and we feel like we have such a high caliber of player here that getting a starting spot, getting a spot on this roster is difficult and people are fighting for those jobs. I think that's where a lot of the tension, a lot of the frustration comes in is people fighting and grinding to try and find their place.”
- 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman said the team hasn't decided if running back Frank Gore will play Thursday. My guess: He sits. Why play him? He's 31. He's ready for the season and the team needs his to stay healthy.
- Roman said young offensive lineman Daniel Kilgore (center), Joe Looney (guard) and Jonathan Martin (tackle) may play some with the second team as well as the first team.
- Tuesday, Harbaugh praised 2013 fourth-round pick Quinton Patton. Wednesday, Roman said the young receiver is making a "favorable impression" in camp. I think Patton is a lock to make the team.
- The 49ers' practice Tuesday was a quick shorts-and-pad workout. The team then traveled to Baltimore. It was essentially a walk-through.
- As expected, injured running back Kendall Hunter cleared waivers. He was lost for the season July 25 with a torn ACL. Hunter is a free agent after the season. Thus, it was highly unlikely he’d be claimed. He is now on the team's injured reserve 49ers general manager Trent Baalke has said the team wants to re-sign Hunter for next season.
- The 49ers will have a walk-through practice Wednesday in Baltimore that is closed to the media.