Lunchtime links: Phillips acing transition test
May, 24, 2010
By Chris Low | ESPN.com
Making the rounds on a Monday in the SEC:
- First-year Kentucky coach Joker Phillips is acing the transition test, writes John Clay of The Lexington Herald-Leader.
- Incoming Georgia freshman Hutson Mason crams for his crash course in Quarterback 101, writes Chip Towers of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Landing the lucrative television deal with ESPN and CBS helped land SEC commissioner Mike Slive a $1 million bonus last year, reports Kyle Veazey of The Jackson Clarion-Ledger.
- Columnist Kevin Scarbinsky of The Birmingham News wonders if Auburn should be crowned the national champions if USC gets hammered by the NCAA and stripped of its 2004 title.
- Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett gets a shout-out on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."
- Mallett tells Steve Hunt of FoxSportsSouthwest.com that he wasn't really close to leaving earlier this year for the NFL draft.
- Dontae Aycock's high school coaches said he went to Auburn coach Gene Chizik to request a transfer prior to Aubun announcing that he had been dismissed for violating a team rule.
- Former Florida walk-on football player Lamar Abel dies after apparently suffering a seizure.