Sizing up the SEC's best games, plays in 2008
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
I'm asking for your expert advice, which I get plenty of and appreciate during the season. Well, at least the G-rated advice.
Anyway, how would you rank the best five games of the season in the SEC, and how would you rank the 10 best plays of the season in the SEC?
The games have to be between two SEC teams. However, the play can come from any game involving an SEC team this season.
I'll go ahead and throw my top game out there, and I think it's pretty obvious. Florida's 31-20 win over Alabama in the SEC Championship Game really did live up to the hype, which is saying something when you consider how much hype surrounded that game.
It was the kind of game -- so well-played with two great coaches and players all over the field coming up clutch -- that you wanted it to go on for two or three more quarters.
As for the plays, I'll throw a few out there that grabbed me this season:
- Knowshon Moreno's hurdle over the Central Michigan defender on his way to a jaw-dropping 29-yard run.
- Casey Dick's fourth-down, 24-yard touchdown pass to London Crawford with 22 seconds to play to beat LSU.
- Ole Miss' stop of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow on fourth-and-short to clinch the Rebels' 31-30 win over the Gators.
- Rashad Johnson's interception in the back of the end zone in overtime to clinch Alabama's win over LSU in Nick Saban's return to Baton Rouge.
- Ryan Hamilton's 79-yard interception return for a touchdown, one of three interceptions he had in Vanderbilt's 23-17 win over Ole Miss.
- Brandon James' 78-yard punt return for a touchdown against Tennessee that included at least three broken tackles and prompted Urban Meyer to say it's the best return he's ever seen.
- South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia going down in the LSU game thanks to the "tackle" of umpire Wilbur Hackett Jr.
- Kentucky freshman Randall Cobb moving over to receiver and hauling in the game-winning, 21-yard touchdown catch in the final minutes to beat Arkansas. It was Cobb's second touchdown grab in the waning minutes.
- Tennessee safety Eric Berry's head-jarring hit on Knowhshon Moreno, sending Moreno spiraling airborne to the turf.
Now, these are just a few I came up with in a short period of time. So think about it, get back to me through the mailbag, and let's come up with a top 10 for the season.
Check back Monday, and we'll have the finished product on the games and plays of the year in the SEC.