Outback Bowl: Did you know?
December, 31, 2010
By Chris Low | ESPN.com
A little bit of this and a little bit of that heading into Saturday's Outback Bowl matchup between Penn State and Florida:
- This is the only bowl game this season featuring coaches that each have a national championship. Penn State’s Joe Paterno led the Nittany Lions to the 1982 and 1986 national titles, while Florida’s Urban Meyer led the Gators to titles in 2006 and 2008.
- Meyer, who's stepping down after this game, is 6-1 all-time in bowl games, going 2-0 with Utah and 4-1 with Florida. His lone loss was a Capital One Bowl loss to Michigan following the 2007 season.
- Paterno holds the NCAA records for most bowl appearances (37) and bowl wins (24). He is 24-11-1 in bowl games.
- This is Penn State’s 16th bowl game against an SEC opponent. The Nittany Lions are 10-5 in the previous 15, which includes the 1961 Gator Bowl against then-SEC member Georgia Tech.
- The Gators have 12 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions this season. That's after they threw 93 touchdown passes and just 16 interceptions in the previous three seasons. The last time the Gators threw fewer than 20 touchdown passes in a season was 1989 when they were held to 10.
- Meyer said he plans to meet with quarterback John Brantley about Brantley's future plans following the game. Brantley is considering transferring next season.
- Meyer's six-year run at Florida included two national championships, three BCS bowl victories and seven first-round NFL draft picks.