Lunchtime links: Mississippi State signee arrested
June, 4, 2009
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
Checking in on what's making headlines in the SEC:
- Mississippi State signee Dennis Thames was arrested last weekend for "public intoxication-other substance," according to jail records. He's the third Mississippi State player/signee to be arrested this year.
- Auburn coach Gene Chizik has given assistants Curtis Luper and Trooper Taylor a lot of freedom and likes the direction of the Tigers' recruiting.
- Columnist Ray Melick of The Birmingham News writes that it's obvious SEC coaches aren't afraid of secondary violations.
- Columnist John Clay of The Lexington Herald-Leader writes that there will be no rest for the weary next season at Kentucky when the Wildcats play 11 straight weeks following a bye the second week of the season.
- Former Florida linebacker John Jones plans to transfer to Tennessee State and will be eligible to play right away, Mike Organ of The Tennessean newspaper reports.