SEC lunch links: How long will Meyer stay at Florida?
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
While my esteemed blogging colleague Chris Low recharges for a few days, I've jumped in to contribute a few links today.
Hopefully, these will go down as smoothly with your lunches as an icy pitcher of sweet tea on a sweltering summer afternoon.
- The Mobile Press-Register's Paul Finebaum opines on the long-term status of Urban Meyer at Florida.
- Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong has received zero interviews for a head coaching job after helping lead the Gators to their second national championship in the past three seasons, the Tampa Tribune's Joey Johnston reports.
- Chris Gay of the Augusta Chronicle writes about the diminished national expectations for Georgia in preseason magazines.
- The College Football News' Pete Fiutak analyzes Kentucky in his extensive preseason preview. And The New York Times' Paul Myerberg also breaks down the Wildcats in his wonderful "Quad Countdown."
- Arkansas defensive lineman Lavunce Askew will not face felony charges in connection to an incident in which a laptop computer was allegedly stolen. Alex Abrams of the Northwest Arkansas Times reports the victim does not want to press charges against Askew.
- Wes Rucker of the Chattanooga Times Free-Press writes about the experience that new Tennessee secondary coach Willie Mack Garza has developed over the years playing against Southeastern Conference teams.
- ESPN radio and television host Colin Cowherd tells Edward Aschoff of the Gainesville Sun that he expects Florida and Texas to meet for the national championship. Cowherd also is intrigued by the intense competition that permeates the Southeastern Conference:
"The sign the SEC is really great is that everybody hates everybody," Cowherd said.
- Ten more signees from Mississippi State's 2009 recruiting class have arrived at school to take part in coach Dan Mullen's summer conditioning program, Kyle Veazey of the Jackson Clarion-Ledger reports.
- David Helman of the LSU Daily Reveille reports about a fashion change on the front of LSU's football uniforms.
- The positives and negatives of more night games for Georgia are analyzed by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Tim Ellerbee.
Suspended Idaho 0 Florida 0
Final Tennessee-Martin 14 Kentucky 59 Final South Dakota State 18 24 Missouri 38 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33 Final Arkansas 21 6 Auburn 45 Final 16 Clemson 21 12 Georgia 45 Final Southern Miss 0 Mississippi State 49 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28
Final 21 Texas A&M 52 9 South Carolina 28 Final Boise State 13 18 Ole Miss 35 Final Temple 37 Vanderbilt 7