Lunchtime links: Vanderbilt's Stone breaks foot
August, 19, 2009
By ESPN.com staff | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
A check of what's making headlines around the SEC:
- Vanderbilt starting defensive end Steven Stone is likely to miss the first four games after breaking his foot in practice.
- Kentucky receiver Randall Cobb misses practice Tuesday to see a back specialist. He hasn't been able to practice this week.
- Auburn coach Gene Chizik says there will be no meddling into Gus Malzahn's handling of the offense.
- LSU linebackers Perry Riley and Kelvin Sheppard nearly went to Tennessee to play in John Chavis' defense. Now they'll get a chance to play for Chavis at LSU.
- Alabama coach Nick Saban is turning up the heat as the Crimson Tide near the end of preseason camp, writes Cecil Hurt of The Tuscaloosa News.
- Columnist John Adams of The Knoxville News-Sentinel writes that the NCAA's involvement with freshman running back Bryce Brown is just another twist in his circuitous route to Tennessee.
- Replacing Peria Jerry in the middle of that defensive line will be no easy task for Ole Miss, but the talent's in place to do so.
Tweets from https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/lists/sec