August, 8, 2011
By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com
With all the news and notes out of Gainesville from fellow SEC blogger Chris Low, here are some links from other schools around the league to munch on.
- Alabama might not know who its starting quarterback is, but it's found its quarterback on defense.
- Blake Sims could contribute for the Tide as both a third quarterback and a running back this fall.
- Aged receiver DeAngelo Benton is putting his injury-plagued career behind him and believes he's finally ready to contribute at Auburn.
- Freshmen Erique Florence and Corey Grant are looking to make the most of their experiences at Auburn.
- Linebacker Alonzo Highsmith is getting a lot of early attention and a lot of chances to impress in practice.
- Isaiah Crowell's eagerness to learn and improve at practice has impressed the Georgia coaches thus far.
- Winning the fourth quarter has become a priority for the Bulldogs during preseason camp.
- John Clay of The Lexington Herald-Leader writes that Joker Phillips is rebuilding with more impressive and aggressive recruiting.
- Kentucky defensive back Glenn Faulkner has clearance for takeoff with the Wildcats.
- LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery is healthier and wiser now that he's back on the field for the Tigers after a knee injury cut his 2010 season short.
- Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt downplays the use of the 4-2-5 formation on defense.
- Quarterback Tyler Russell is looking shed his one-dimensional game by becoming a better runner at Mississippi State.
- Bruce Ellington is making the transition from basketball star to wide receiver at South Carolina.
- Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray is ready to start over after a painful ending to his freshman season.
- Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews had an interesting way of improving his hands: he used a pitching machine.
12:00 PM ET UAB Arkansas 3:30 PM ET 1 Mississippi State Kentucky 4:00 PM ET Vanderbilt Missouri 7:15 PM ET 3 Ole Miss 24 LSU 7:30 PM ET South Carolina 5 Auburn 7:30 PM ET 4 Alabama Tennessee