January, 12, 2012
By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com
Making the SEC rounds on a Thursday.
- LSU All-America cornerback Morris Claiborne is leaving early for the NFL draft.
- Jon Solomon of The Birmingham News writes that Jim McElwain went out in style as Alabama's offensive coordinator.
- Arkansas linebackers coach Reggie Johnson and two grad assistants are headed to UAB to join former Arkansas offensive coordinator Garrick McGee's staff.
- Offensive tackle prospect Patrick Miller switches his commitment from LSU and is now enrolled at Auburn for the spring semester.
- Former Ohio State coach John Cooper says the NCAA should "look into" Alabama.
- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier says the Gamecocks accomplished yet another goal by finishing the season ranked ninth in the Associated Press poll -- the highest ranking ever by a South Carolina team.
- Recruiting is the first step for Auburn's new defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder.
- With the 2011 season officially over, Arkansas now turns its attention to national signing day in February.
- New Florida offensive coordinator Brent Pease has "some gunslinger in him."
- Radio host Bobby Hebert defends his rant against LSU coach Les Miles following the Tigers' 21-0 loss to Alabama in the Allstate BCS National Championship Game.
- Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham shoots down rumors swirling about him and says he wants to stay at Georgia a "very long time."
- Kentucky offensive lineman Chandler Burden and cornerback Anthony Mosley will play in the Casino Del Sol College All-Star Game in Tucson, Ariz., next week.
- Mississippi State has its eye on Georgia high school quarterback Nick Schuessler after JUCO standout Bo Wallace committed to Ole Miss over the Bulldogs.
- Defensive back Tino Thomas is back on campus with Tennessee after a torn labrum forced him to grayshirt in 2011.
- Tennessee could be close to filling a hole on its coaching staff, but also close to seeing another position open up.
- Vanderbilt coach James Franklin defends his recruiting practices, saying he doesn't guarantee playing time.
12:00 PM ET UAB Arkansas 3:30 PM ET 1 Mississippi State Kentucky 4:00 PM ET Vanderbilt Missouri 7:15 PM ET 3 Ole Miss 24 LSU 7:30 PM ET South Carolina 5 Auburn 7:30 PM ET 4 Alabama Tennessee