Weekend SEC scrimmage notes
August, 13, 2012
By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com
A handful of SEC teams took to the practice field to conduct scrimmages over the weekend. Here are some notes from some of the scrimmages:
- Junior quarterback Aj McCarron led the way for the offense, completing 19 of 29 passes for 222 yards and a touchdown. Running back Eddie Lacy led all rushers with 57 yards on eight carries, and caught a scrimmage-best five passes for 25 yards. Jalston Fowler ran seven times for 34 yards and a score, and T.J. Yeldon had 24 yards and two touchdowns.
- Kevin Norwood led all receivers with 61 yards on two catches, and freshman linebacker Trey DePriest stood out on defense with five tackles and an interception.
- For more on Alabama's scrimmage, check out the school's official website.
- Quarterback Tyler Wilson had another solid performance, completing 21 of 39 passes for 288 yards, with four touchdowns and the interception. However, it was Arkansas' defense that commanded most of the attention. Arkansas' defense racked up 12 sacks, 27 tackles for losses and forced two turnovers.
- Arkansas' offense scored touchdowns on just five of its 12 possessions, but quarterback-turned-wide receiver Brandon Mitchell was a major part of the offense, catching nine passes for 74 yards and two touchdowns.
- You can find more on Arkansas' scrimmage here.
- Quarterback Zach Mettenberger had a solid outing during the Tigers' first fall scrimmage. He led all passers with 190 yards and two touchdowns on 15 of 30 passing. He connected with wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. for a 55-yard touchdown pass, and hit James Wright for a 31-yard touchdown.
- Beckham Jr. led all receivers with four catches for 101 yards, and Wright caught four passes for 57 yards. Freshman running back Jeremy Hill was the team's top rusher, with 71 yards on just nine carries.
- Junior cornerback Tharold Simon stood out on defense with two tackles, one sack and an interception.
- For more on LSU's scrimmage, check out the school's official website.
- It seems as though quarterback James Franklin is healing well after shoulder surgery this spring. During Mizzou's first scrimmage, he completed 18 of 22 passes for 228 yards. He completed his first nine passes for 111 yards before throwing his first incompletion. Freshman Maty Mauk added 152 yards on 25 of 36 passing.
- Running back Kendial Lawrence had the lone touchdown of the day when he ended a 75-yard drive with a 1-yard touchdown run. Lawrence also carried 11 times for a team-high 37 yards, and caught six passes for 50 yards. Jimmie Hunt led all receivers with 68 yards on six catches.
- For more on Missouri's practice, check out the school's official website.
- The Rebels' quarterbacks struggled during Ole Miss' scrimmage. Both completed fewer than 50 percent of their passes, with Bo Wallace passing for 145 yards and Barry Brunetti passing for 94 yards. Brunetti also threw two interceptions.
- The running game was much more productive, as I'Tavius Mathers ran for 47 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries, and Jaylen Walton rushed for 30 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries.
- For more on Ole Miss' scrimmage, check here and here.
- A lot is expected from freshman wide receiver Shaq Roland, and he had a pretty solid debut for the Gamecocks. He led all receivers with 59 yards and a touchdown on four catches.
- Running back Brandon Wilds was the top rusher of the day, getting 40 yards on three carries, and Marcus Lattimore, who is coming back from his season-ending knee injury, carried the ball four times for 25 yards.
- Quarterback Connor Shaw threw for 108 yards and a touchdown, but backup Andrew Clifford led the quarterbacks with 122 yards and two scores.
- For more on South Carolina's scrimmage, check out the school's official website.
- Quarterback Tyler Bray had no problem finding his favorite receiving targets during the Vols' scrimmage. He hit Da'Rick Rogers and Justin Hunter 13 times, with Rogers grabbing six passes for a team-high 105 yards. Hunter caught seven passes for 47 yards.
- Tennessee' offense also did well running the ball. The Vols' totaled 295 rushing yards, with 134 coming from junior running back Rajion Neal.
- For more on Tennessee's scrimmage, check out the school's official website.
- Freshman running back Trey Williams had a solid debut Saturday, rushing for 125 yards and two touchdowns on six carries during the first half of the Aggies' scrimmage. His highlight of the day came on a 76-yard touchdown run.
- The Aggies showcased a tremendous pass rush last season, and continued that trend during the scrimmage, registering four sacks in the first half, including two from defensive end Damontre Moore.
- For more on Texas A&M's scrimmage, check out the school's official website.
- It was all about offense for the Commodores on Saturday night. Vandy's offense scored eight touchdowns in the 105-play scrimmage.
- Running back Zac Stacy got it going again during the third-down situation portion of the scrimmage with a 40-yard run on the first play. The offense finished the third-down situations 8 of 14.
- Freshman Brian Kimbrow had a solid debut, leading rushers with 112 yards. Stacy racked up 98 rushing yards, and quarterback Jordan Rodgers passed for 153 yards and a touchdown.
- For more on Vandy's scrimmage, check out the school's official website.