Did you know? Week 3
September, 14, 2012
By Edward Aschoff | ESPN.com
It's time to look at some interesting facts in the SEC heading into Week 3:
- After two weeks, SEC stadiums have been filled to an average of 95.09 percent capacity. In 18 games at SEC stadiums this season, the total attendance is 1,274,712, an average of 70,817 fans per game. Last season, SEC stadiums were filled to an average of 95.75 percent capacity and averaged 75,594 fans per game.
- SEC teams have scored touchdowns on their first offensive drives in 11 of 27 games thus far (40.7 percent). Ole Miss is the only SEC team to score on its first drive in both of its games this year.
- SEC teams have scored 115 touchdowns and have allowed just 58 this season. The league teams have scored 56 passing touchdowns (48.7percent) this season and 48 rushing touchdowns (41.7). Last year, the SEC teams scored 220 passing touchdowns (41.5) and 252 rushing touchdowns (47.5).
- SEC teams have scored on 43.2 percent of its offensive possessions (150 of 347) this season. SEC teams have scored touchdowns on 30.0 percent of its offensive possessions (104 of 347) this season. LSU leads the SEC in overall drive efficiency, scoring on 13 of its 23 (56.5 percent) of its offensive possessions. Ole Miss leads the SEC in touchdown drive efficiency, reaching the end zone on 11 of its 26 (42.3 percent) of its offensive drives.
- Georgia leads the SEC in fourth quarter scoring margin (+24), having scored 31 points and allowing seven. Florida is second in fourth quarter scoring margin (+17), having scored 17 points and not allowing any points. Last season, Georgia was ninth in the SEC in fourth quarter scoring margin (minus-13, 78-91) and Florida was 10th (minus-26; 59-85).
- SEC defenses have stopped opponents on three-and-outs without scoring 34.4 percent (121-of-352) of the time. LSU leads the SEC, stopping opponents on three plays 13 of 25 (52.0 percent) times. Florida is second in the SEC, stopping opponents 47.8 percent of the time (11-of-23) in three plays.
- SEC offenses have scored in two minutes or less 58 times this season compared to 17 drives that have lasted more than five minutes. Tennessee leads the SEC with nine drives of less than two minutes while LSU has four drives of more than five minutes.
- Only one SEC team has scored a touchdown on every trip into the red zone -- Arkansas has scored on all eight of its trips inside the 20. On defense, only South Carolina (0-for-3) has not allowed a touchdown in the red zone.
- Arkansas’ Dennis Johnson could become the SEC’s next career statistical record maker. Johnson has 2,611 career kickoff return yards and is third on the career charts. The SEC career record is 2,718 yards by Brandon James of Florida (2006-09). There are no other active SEC players among the Top 10 in career non-percentage record lists.
- Alabama’s opponents this season, Michigan and Western Kentucky, were under duress on half of their dropbacks (32-of-64). They completed 42.3 percent of their passes when under duress with two interception, no touchdowns and four sacks. Alabama was able to apply this pressure, despite sending four of fewer pass-rushers on 72.6 percent of its opponent’s dropbacks.
- Since the start of last season, Alabama has allowed 16.2 plays per game on its side of the 50, the fewest in FBS. Alabama has allowed fewer than 10 such plays in three straight games. No FBS team has more than two such games since the start of last season.
- Through two games, Tyler Bray is completing 76.2 percent of his passes that travel downfield 15 yards or longer. On shorter throws, his completion percentage drops to 72.5 percent. The key to Bray’s deep success is the play-action fake as 14 of his 16 completions on 15-yard throws have come after a run fake.
- For the season, the Gators have been far more efficient on defense in the second half, allowing half as many plays to gain 10 yards or more and forcing twice as many three-and-outs. Florida’s first-half will get a test Saturday. The Vols lead the SEC in yards (617) and 15+ yard plays (15) in the first half this season.
- Florida had 113 rushing yards on 13 carries outside the tackles in the second half last Saturday, including seven runs that gained 10 yards or more. Jeff Driskel led the way with 45 rushing yards and three 10-yard runs outside the tackles in the second half. The Gators were not quite as dominate in the first half, as they had minus-7 rushing yards outside the tackles.
- Alabama at Arkansas -- Tide QB AJ McCarron is third in the nation in passing efficiency; Hogs QB Tyler Wilson is fourth … Alabama has won five straight against the Razorbacks with the last win coming in 2006 in Fayetteville (24-23, 2OT) … Alabama has just nine scholarship seniors, tied for fourth least in FBS (with Marshall and Wisconsin) … Arkansas has 20 wins at home since beginning of 2010 season, tied for fourth most in FBS and second-most in SEC during that stretch.
- Louisiana-Monroe at Auburn -- Tigers lead the series 8-0 against the Warhawks … Saturday’s home opener for Auburn is the latest for Auburn since the 1984 opener against Southern Miss.
- Florida at Tennessee -- This will be the first meeting since 2007 that both schools are ranked in the polls … Florida has won seven straight against Tennessee, but the Vols have an 11-10 edge in Knoxville … The Vols are ranked in the AP poll for the first time since being ranked 18th before first week of 2008 season … Vols have gained 500-plus yards in consecutive games (NCSU, Georgia State) for the first time since 2000 (Arkansas, Kentucky) … Head coaches Derek Dooley (UT) and Will Muschamp (UF) worked together on staffs at LSU (2001-04) and with the Miami Dolphins (2005).
- Florida Atlantic at Georgia -- This will be first-ever meeting between Owls and Bulldogs … Georgia has won 12 consecutive regular-season games (dating back to 2011), the longest such streak during the Mark Richt tenure at UGA.
- Western Kentucky at Kentucky -- The Wildcats lead the series against Hilltopppers, 3-0 … During Joker Phillips’ tenure at UK, Wildcats are 9-1 in games which they win the turnover margin; 2-4 when margin is tied; and 1-10 when UK loses more turnovers than its opponent.
- Idaho at LSU -- This will be the first-ever meeting between the Vandals and the Tigers … With a win, LSU would become the first team in NCAA history to win 40 straight nonconference regular season games … Tigers also riding a 19-game home win streak, which is one shy of the school record.
- Texas at Ole Miss -- The Longhorns hold a 5-1 series advantage against Ole Miss … Rebels QB Bo Wallace leads the SEC with 42 points responsible (5 pass TDs/2 rush TDs) and ranks eighth in the nation in pass efficiency (187.59 rating) … Ole Miss leads SEC with 20 tackles for loss and nine sacks.
- Mississippi State at Troy -- The series is tied, 1-1 … The Bulldog defense has allowed just one touchdown in their first two games. Only the 1998 and 1991 defenses allowed less since 1986.
- Arizona State at Missouri -- The series is tied, 3-3 … Mizzou has won 17 straight nonconference games in Columbia and the Tigers are 24-2 against nonconference foes in the Gary Pinkel era … QB James Franklin is currently second on school career pass-efficiency rating list (138.6 rating).
- UAB at South Carolina – South Carolina is 2-0 in the series … A win against the Blazers will give Steve Spurrier his 200th win as a college head coach … He would be the 71st coach in college history (all divisions) to accomplish the feat … RB Marcus Lattimore needs one touchdown to become the school record holder in career TDs … He currently has 33 career TDs.
- Texas A&M at SMU -- A&M leads the series with SMU, 42-29-7 … The Aggies lead the nation in sacks (8.00 per game) and are second in net punting (49.67 average per punt) … Damontre Moore leads the nation in sacks per game (3.00) while Jonathan Stewart leads nation in tackles per game (17.00).
- Presbyterian at Vanderbilt -- This is the first meeting between the Commodores and Blue Hose … Junior WR Jordan Matthews tops the SEC with 222 receiving yards (14 catches) … Senior RB Zac Stacy is seventh in Vandy history with 2,086 career rushing yards … Triple digits against the Blue Hose would put Stacy at least fourth in school history (4th-Jermaine Johnson, 2152 yards).